Progress on entrants cars 2007

Raider

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone got a spare Stag engine block?   Mine's still in Swindon!  :(

All good plans went out the window last week when GT noticed a liner 5 thou proud of the top of the block!  Pity the machine shop hadn't when it was there a week or so before.  Worse still the exchange reground/tuftrided crank I'd bought was not up to scratch, with a bad finish on the ends that would have ripped out my lovely Vandervell bearings quicker than you can say "oil".    :'(

Anyway, GT took it to a decent machine shop in Swindon on the way to Wales last Fri, plan was to pick it up Mon on the way back from a wedding in Marlowe-on-Thames (not a major detour).  Fooobar, block not ready to staffing shortages!  

So I'm at work on a 12hr shift all day whilst GT is belting down the M4 in my PI, because his car expired on the driveway last night!  

I can feel a late night in the garage coming on, followed by a biggie tomorrow!  

Got a head full of grey hair now, but not gonna give up yet  :-/

royboy66 wrote:
just been to get another fuel can! got a 5litre and a 10 litre! so 15litres, thats about  80miles!! :P
just been for final shakedown run before nightshift tonight :-/ EVERYTHING OK, BUT MY STEREO STOPPED WORKING!!  :'( tok it out,and a screw from back of dash has dropped into top of it!!   popped to Halfrauds, they tested it!! yup, FUBARED! had to buy a new head unit!! FECK!  

Otherwise I think we are READY!! ;D ;D

YUP! car 26, ready 1  right off to do a night shift!

good luck all who are close!! ;)

Roy. 8) ( team sauna!)

Roy - looking at your headlight beam deflectors , I notice you've used both parts of the deflector, I thought on our headlights we only need to use the circular bit?

Just finished compiling my 10CR CD - important stuff!!

This is what kept me at work alllll weekend! There till 10:30pm on saturday and 7pm on sunday. Phew. Had to make the repair sections too, which was fairly time consuming, and I decided to lose the spare wheel well, as I never carry a spare wheel and it makes the exhaust sit too low... hence why its battered and broken! That pic shows exactly how it was when I cut it open- no packing! Its now nice and quiet  :)

This is my first night of not working on the car in ages... although I have been up to the barn where I keep my spare herald to rob its vertical links... I'l be glad to just get on the roadand hope that it all stays together!

See you all on thursday!

Ben

Put Carl back on the casualty list, just got word that the Sprint died on the way to our monthly meeting tonight. Seems like it could have run a bearing :-( Now starts and runs really badly. He's going to take a look when it's recovered back to his place and see if it's terminal or what. I'm gutted for him.

do we all get a sticker for the bonnet then ellis or is that just for the ''special'people

all i've got left to do is reattach the headlight wires ,do the bolts up on the bonnet, fit the tunnel cover do and oil change ..oh yes and actually drive the thing All this talk about Tom Tom ,i haven't even looked closely et the road book yet let alone mark it on the atlas

doug_foreman wrote:
do we all get a sticker for the bonnet then ellis or is that just for the 'special' people

If by 'special' you mean me - then yes !!!

It's just a spare sticker that I cut the star out - it's not THAT special... and it covers a rust spot ;)

Jason wrote:
Put Carl back on the casualty list, just got word that the Sprint died on the way to our monthly meeting tonight. Seems like it could have run a bearing :-( Now starts and runs really badly. He's going to take a look when it's recovered back to his place and see if it's terminal or what. I'm gutted for him.

Fl1pping 'eck - let's hope it's repairable... I have all to familiar memories of Sprint engine failure on the 10CR.

Likewise, a real shame.

Here's hoping that they drag the Spitfire along.

Makes you think all this Triumph malarkey. There are a few CT members who have really worked hard: Mike Bishop, Doug Foreman, Carl Shakespeare and Tom Key and have had nothing but issues all the way. True Triumph enthusiasts.

TR7Nutter wrote:

Fl1pping 'eck - let's hope it's repairable... I have all to familiar memories of Sprint engine failure on the 10CR.

Indeed, I too know the bitter taste of fubar engine on the eve of an event. Of course my mates have helped me through it with talk of holding a sweepstake of which country will Jason break down in?  Ba$tards  >:(

Jason wrote:

Indeed, I too know the bitter taste of fubar engine on the eve of an event. Of course my mates have helped me through it with talk of holding a sweepstake of which country will Jason break down in?  Ba$tards  >:(

I still get reminded about the 2003 10CR breakdown even now... ::)

I really hope it's nothing serious... :-/

Final entry updated - car changes and last minute driver changes etc. Mr Bancroft is still un-decided on cars, so I've decided for him - have a look... ;D
http://club.triumph.org.uk/comps/index.php?id=23

Well, we were buzzing along at 70mph in 4th. The engine appeared to misfire suddenly then started making an horrendous clattering/knocking noise. I knocked the car out of gear, turned the engine off and coasted to a halt. Back home in the garage the symptoms are, the engine spins freely on the starter, no noises but is very difficult to start (it was brilliant before). When it does start it runs roughly and with the same clattering/knocking noise. Any ideas ?

Regardless, it ain't going to be ready for the 10CR now. The Spitfire needs work and I've only got Wednesday night to do it. Hmmm, I think I'll have a few beers and sleep on it. Any takers for ferry, hotels, entry if I decide to throw in the towel ?  :-/

Archived