Progress on entrants cars 2007

Raider

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The top of the pedal has an arm which should have a cable attached to it - which pulls on a solid linkage on the bodies?

I guess it all depends if the cable has enough "pull" to work with the SU

I'm guessing the PI pedal is perfect for PI throttle bodies... but then again perhaps not :)

No, the Pi has a solid bar that passes into the engine bay, that then pulls on the cable. The end of teh cable is attached to the bulkhead, and the throttle pushes the cable outer along the cable.

It suffers the same problems as a Mk3 spitfire in that the bushes fall out and the throttle pedal flaps around. Lots of lost motion.

Cheers

Colin

Colin, you are correct. This is an affliction that the mk2 GT6 suffers from as well. I know have a Spit 1500 throtle pedal and cable fitted to that.

My pi has some original features, it still has the 15ACR alternator with seperate control box- pain in the butt that is as well.

Just had fun trying to get a 14'' Pacet fan to replace my two Renault 21 fans that the car has at the mo, ended up buying direct from Pacet. (So much for the original statement above eh!)

timbancroft61 wrote:
Colin, you are correct. This is an affliction that the mk2 GT6 suffers from as well. I know have a Spit 1500 throtle pedal and cable fitted to that.

My pi has some original features, it still has the 15ACR alternator with seperate control box- pain in the butt that is as well.

Mine still has both of those original features.

It also stilll has plenty of original tin-worm to be eradicated... :-(

Colin

(who ditched the rod throttle on his mk3 a few years ago when the bushes dropped out)

Finished stripping Stag engine yesterday, heads off no problem, phew!

Pretty sure of cause of low oil pressure, the oil that came out looked if it had been in the car for decades and 1000's of miles, not the 3 weeks and 50 miles it actually had seen!  There was 5mm deep sludge in the bottom of the sump and general grot everywhere.  Also found the remains of one of the chain tensioner slippers down there!

I think that even had I changed the once a week, I wiould never had got all the crap out and bearing failure would still have occurred!

Plan to put the oil in the 'box this weekend, let you know how it works ;)

Found another coolant leak today ...
turned out to be the new top hose needing a bit of tightening.

Also one of the K&N filters has managed to shrink so it doesn't seal properly anymore. So need some new ones.

And to end it all I found out that the carb mounting rubbers are starting to detoriate. But I have two OS pairs lying around so will put some new ones on just to be safe ...
So I think I'll give the carbs a good clean and checkover as they are of the car.

Fitted the ICE to the car.

Didn't want to cut holes in the panel behind teh seats, so butchered the ginger one I have failed to sell despite years of trying.

Bought a connector to fit to the end of my DAB aerial. Need a magnifying glass to see parts of it!

Give me proper 50ohm co-ax anyday, not this namby-pamby modern stuff.

Anybody go a crimp tool for fitting SMB(f) connectors??? Will probably need to be used by midget-dwarfs with a growth problem.

Also greased the rear hubs and adjusted the rear brakes.

Still have a hole in the hood to sort........ (must buy new umbrella)

:-)

Colin

Changed the brake pads for new EBC Greenstuff, just need to wait for the rain to stop to test them out and bed them in - just little luxury jobs to do now like gaffer tape around the tunnel and run an extension for the power socket to plug the various phones and sat-nav charger in! Even Rain-X'd the windscreen today!

Got a cheap (2.50) electric kettle off ebay, so we can at least have hot coffee and Tea en-route - at least thats one small luxury! Tested it and works OK - just enough for two mugs(driver and co-pilot!)!

We have been having a problem with the estate for a couple of weeks now. It just hasn't been fueling porperly. Father was tinkering with it this mroning and took it out on a test run and to use his words 'I'd got running about 80 percent better...... until it caught fire'

Not how I wanted to be woken up at 6:30am on a Sunday morning :-/ still there doesn't seem to be much damage just a melted vac pipe and jet assembly.

turns out he'd forgotten to tighten up the fuel pipe between the carbs when he'd been tinkering which had leaked fuel on to the wrapping around the glowing red hot exhaust which then caught  :P

I wonder if I should start prepping the tr4 just in case......

Ben_in_Herald wrote:
Got the engine back together tonight - it runs! Filled the float chambers with petrol before trying to start it, 2 seconds on the starter later it fires up :-) Just been for a test drive and no obvious leakages, so all's good at the mo...lets hope it stays that way!

Ben

thank the lord! now you sure you dont wanna fit that OD? ;) btw mate you let Ellis know of the driver change?

I'm positive I want to fit o/d jony, but at £845 for the canleys kit (which i'd need, as I dont have anything at the mo), its a little pricey! Plus when it gets rebuilt after the 10cr it might well not be staying as a 1300, so it would probably be a waste of money anyway. I'd been tempted by the ford type 9 conversion though...*awaits gasps of disbelief and criticism*... as then I could use that on whatever engine I use, and wouldnt have to worry about it breaking ;-) But even that involves a new propshaft, adapter plate, new clutch, speedo cable and probably trans. tunnel mods. Nothings ever cheap lol! So I think I'l have to settle for a 3.63 diff now... anythings got to be better than the standard gearing that its got right now.

Hahaha, yep, I'd have to keep a safe distance from you ste! Or just not tell you... heh. 3.63 is a maybe, should pull it ok I reckon, much better power to weight than a spit 1500. Not ideal for acceleration, but ther'l be a lot of motorway miles to do, so itl be a compromise. Itd cruise all day at 85 with the right gearing... Engine seems to be healthy now, think the crank rear oil seal is a bit badgered though - its dripping oil onto the exhaust :-( Cant be bothered to fix that now, so I'l just make a guard at work to keep the oil off the exhaust! Another ben bodge :-D

Archived