Progress on entrants cars 2007

Raider

With the best intentions I went to do my trailing arm bushes, rear springs and shocks today.

Got as far as undoing the nuts behind the back plate and decided the rear bushes could wait.

Undid the lower shock absorber nut with an impact gun - then for the life of me couldn't get the upper nut undone.

By this time I was sweating so much I kept on getting drips on my glasses.

I put it all back together and gave up :(

I don't like this hot weather!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gave the car a good run up to Duxford today for the TSSC Spitfire day- ran faultlessley - MX5 seats great for long jouneys and hot weather - but must remember to take sandals - cockpit got very hot on way home - well it was a hot day! Engine temp remained at or just above halfway for the homeward journey so quite happy about that.

Good day on the GT today. Replaced broken solenoid and starter, wired in some instrument lights properly so it all lights up now at night. Replaced the brake pads, it can stop now, im impressed with the mintex pads so far, loads of bite. Went about the car tirghting a few loose things that rattled like one of the body tub bolts (eek!) and passenger foot plate, and best of all, gave it a mighty thrashing about the hertfordshire countryside after sundown...

An microwaved myself all day in this baking weather!

So thats knocked of a few '10CR' to-do bits, although I didnt them now bacause the car need to get nikki and I to Cornwall on Tuesday for 5 days. fun!

I think I'm getting to the end of my tether with my car. It's just 1 step forward 2 steps back all the time  >:(  Even the bloody alternator wouldn't just bolt on, oh no, seems its' got an extra bit of casting that fouls the block so there's not enough adjustment to fit the belt. The engine and 'box are finally ready to go back in but I need to finish repairing the loom first. That should have been done tonight but the nice new bullet connectors just fall to bits when I try to crimp them  >:( >:( >:(. Realistically I have two more weeks at most before I have to give up and prep the Spitfire. At the moment I really don't know if I can get the Sprint ready in time  :( 8ollocks !

Ben_in_Herald wrote:
4 broken rings - the top 1 from each cylinder, oops!
Ben

I had all 6 top rings broken when I stripped the engine in the Vitesse down, it still ran and was fine, right up to the point where the crank broke  :-/

davesideways wrote:
Best actually set the ring gaps then :) Suggest 0.007-8".

'The book' quotes 0.015-35 from memory, and when I put these last ring in they were nearer the 15thou side of things. Why would they break if they were within tolerance? The unbroken ones have worn to 30thou now. I've been told its due to thrashing (!) but then how do racers get away with revving to 8k+?!

Thought it a good idea to use the DHC for work today. As it was raining cats and dogs all day, there are a few things I have learned about the car  :B ...
First I found out that the new hood is rather waterproof. After standing/driving in the pooring rain for over 10 hours there was still no sign off any leak  :)
The windscreen wipers do work in proper TR7 style. As they work that should be OK for the 10CR  :X
The (ex-airco) heater is much more efficient in demisting the windows than the standard TR7 one, which again is good news;

On the downside, the exhaust still touches the body (right at the back off the car) and the tyres are ... euhm ... a bit hard. Ordered some new tyres (195/55x15) yesterday, see how they work  ::)

Will go to the Nürburgring tomorrow for the Historic GP weekend, see how she behaves on a longer trip.

Well with a few nudges and offers of support, I've decided to persevere with plan A -  the Stag - the engine is coming out tomorrow!  The Tr7 V8 will be plan B, all other plans have been abandoned!

Finished the needle roller bearing top strut mount conversion on the TR today, have made the steering noticeably lighter, especially at parking speed.  Still gotta polybush the rear and change the heater though.

Got the missus to drive both Stag and TR today, amazingly she preferred the TR!  A bit more similar to her MX5 perhaps?  The imbalance between driving time and leisure time has just started to dawn on her though, she wasn't too impressed - oops!

Plan A has progressed well today, gotta nice clean Stag engine/gearbox sitting on the deck now.  Bit of an arse to remove, it has to be said.  Still I started midday, was ready to unbolt engine/gearbox mounts before lifting by 1300, then spent the next 2.5 hours fighting the propshaft and engine mounting bolts.  Lifting out was a nerve racking experience - really must invest in some new shackles for piece of mind!

Umm, been up to Steve Waddingham's premises today to get them to have a look at the bodywork on the car- no issues there.

The drive highlighted a few issues:
Electric fans sound fubar: Replace
Front wheel bearings need new seals
Change the throttle pedal to the mk2 type and get rid of the pivot arrangement on the bulkhead.
Fit new horn push
Adjust valve clearances
Balance the carbs
Grease the steering rack

This is all simple stuff.

Just returned from a two day trip with the DHC to the Historic GP at the Nürburgring.
Car behaved rather well, cruises happily and easily on the German Autobahn (90 Mph @ 3500rpm). It's stable and relatively quiet at that speed. Also temperature stays OK,  I have the impression that due to the front spoiler I fitted last week the temperature stays slightly cooler. The list of things to do certainly gets shorter;
- fit map light;
- put new coolant hoses on just to be sure;
- modify the rear silencer box so it doesn't touch the body anymore (although much less than it used to);
- new tyres (as mentiond);
- put some nice lambskin seat covers on the seats for some extra comfort  ::)

Archived