Best Engine Oil Replacement

Batch.y

I was speaking to a guy from Bardahl the other day for quite a while. Interesting chat and he came over to talk after seeing all the cars on the drive. When I said I knew people using VR1 he didn't seem massively impressed. When I said they'd found it more stable etc he straight away said "yeah, it's got more zinc in it etc so will in those older engines" so he clearly knew his stuff. I grabbed his business card and might give their stuff a go one day, when I get the new engine done.

http://www.bardahl.com/
http://www.top-oils.co.uk/

firebobby wrote:
So is VR1 suitable for none raced engines then, I don't intend on any hard driving in mine. At that price you can't go wrong and it's worth buying a few tins

Yes, its an ecoxcellent oil for older engines. Lots of ZDDP.

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/uploadedFiles/2658.pdf

Has anyone researched the ZDDP additives?  I bought some ZDDP Max from Amazon, the selection made because in the absence of a recognized manufacturer, this one had more buyers.  But it could contain only cat hair & Karo Corn Syrup for all I know.

ZDDP additives MIGHT work... BUT.... Having spent quite a lot of time formulating engine oils for a well known company which is a sponsor of the footballists at the moment, I can say that it is a difficult thing to work with. It is activated (i.e. it plates itself out onto any available metal surface) at about 55 centigrade, so you need be sure that your sump is cold before adding it - when we made experimental blends in the lab we made sure the oil was below 40 before adding it to avoid having a stirrer blade that was very well protected from wear and none left in the bulk! It would then take a good 15 mins stirring for a 5L blend to ensure that the ZDDP had dispersed (it is more dense than engine oil and sinks to the bottom). So I'd suggest if you have facilities to add it before the oil is in the car, and you know how much to add on top of that which is already in the formulation, then go for it. Be aware that too much is just as bad as not enough.

My best advice? Change your oil regularly - every 3000 miles OR every year (if you don't get to the 3000 miles). This will ensure that it's at the optimum condition if it's mineral based. Synthetic - make sure it's really synthetic as many countries have no legal definition for the term and some oil companies can be unscrupulous as a consequence. Best to stick to 20W50 and make sure that there's a SAE specification on the pack - if not then it's probably reclaimed from that big container that you pour your oil into at the dump......

Thanks,

Karen (Mrs Rarebits)

Before the days of synthetic oils, a friend of mine always used re refined oil, on the grounds that, as it was a mix of all of them, it would have to be better than half of them.

None of his cars were good enough to last long enough to test the theory.

heraldcoupe wrote:

My best advice? Change your oil regularly - every 3000 miles OR every year (if you don't get to the 3000 miles). This will ensure that it's at the optimum condition if it's mineral based. Synthetic - make sure it's really synthetic as many countries have no legal definition for the term and some oil companies can be unscrupulous as a consequence. Best to stick to 20W50 and make sure that there's a SAE specification on the pack - if not then it's probably reclaimed from that big container that you pour your oil into at the dump......

Thanks,

Karen (Mrs Rarebits)

30 years ago I used to work for a small lubricant companyb called Freedom Oils in Tinsley,Sheffield as a salesman.

The blender/technican or whatever he was used to say that "our" oils were better than the big oil companies products cos we weren't good enough to produce "down" to the minimum needed for the SAE specs etc!

Not sure about that myself but certainly SE spec oil then - ie the early 80s was a good. We knew "SF spec" as Ford spec due to those demanding people at Ford wanting a higher spec than normal ;D

Anyway, I have been out of fuel and lubricants for 20 years but I would certainly agree with Karen, use a good SAE spec 20/50 and change it often.