Show your entered car!

19 minutes ago, Linda Carr said:

they have fitted a new rear spring and trying to fathom out why they can't get rid of the positive camber

I have heard many reports that most new springs are wrong - too strong - and give big positive camber. Sometimes they settle if driven with a lot of weight in the boot for a while. Alternatively, fit a lowering block as Alex said.

(Mine has the opposite problem, having been swing-spring converted with a second-hand spring)

Edited by RobPearce
Added a note
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Linda Carr said:

20230211_122020.jpg

New springs always seem to sit a bit high but this does look extreme! Unless it's just been set down off a jack and not moved since. 

Could potentially be the wrong spring, or just a typical example of new parts not being to the right specification. I would put something very heavy in the boot and leave it there for a while - bags of sand or gravel. But in all honesty it probably wants a big lowering block, or the old spring cleaning up, painting and putting back in. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Linda Carr said:

its a standard spring and no hasnt been driven yet, only a few hundred yards around the garage workshop lol they are intending to get miles on her. 

Mine is sitting about the same as yours at the moment, I done a swing spring conversion about a year ago and it's still not settled. I'm going to try a lowering block. Hopefully I'll get one from Stoneleigh, it's on my very long shopping list...

• Thanks 1

My mk1 2000. Should look a lot better by October and, like Radder's car, be pi powered too.

Photo taken on the M3 (I think) by Gary Forman on the 2021 RBRR. My favourite photo of the car 🙂

Reserve car - Krusty Mustard aka Rusty Custard. Completed the 2021 RBRR and, under my ownership, last year's C2C and 10CR. Pictured here at the top if the Stelvio behind Steve's car 🙂

FB_IMG_1633361932040.jpg

20220909_121020.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Linda Carr said:

we went to see her today, they have fitted a new rear spring and trying to fathom out why they can't get rid of the positive camber it is quite severe, is this normal? will just weight in the boot sort it? they were talking about repainting the old spring and putting that back on?  I had been looking in the forum to see if there were any posts regarding this. 

No it's not normal and will affect the handling. There are plenty of Spitfire experts on here that will be able to advise, unfortunately, I'm not one of them. Big saloons are the only Triumph I've had anything to do with. 

Edited by Radders
  • Thanks 1

Hi Linda and Amy,

Should the car not revert to std ride height and not loose the positive camber that they are showing, it is likely that the spring is wrong. You could try a lowering block, but that is a compromise. 

The correct spring might be better. Talk to Clare or Dave Pearson at Canleys, they will be able to advise. They sell springs from trusted manufactuers. Also, very keen RBRR entrants, so will help you.

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?product=alloy-diff-spacers

When buying a lowering block, especially a 1'' block, you will need longer bolts. Canleys list these on this page.

Once all the suspension work has been done, do get the car's suspension aligned, basically get the wheels sticking in the right direction. CT people on here can advise about this as there are not that many tyre suppliers that can cope with 13'' wheels these days. 

Please ask away as their is a wealth of info on this forum. 

Alternatively, email the RBRR organisers on ctrbrr@gmail.com, 4 of us are experienced Triumph small chassis men.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The third car in Team Spotlight is Dave Harvey's Fabulous Maple Brown MK2 Pi. A very well engineered car and very well maintained and looked after by its owner.  I've been lucky enough to have driven this car a few times now and it's one of the best Triumphs I've driven. (Pic taken on the 2012 RBRR next to Gertie1) 

311188_440720315967301_880098624_n.jpg

• Like 5

This TR8 NWK988W last did the RBRR in 1980 with a Triumph factory/works crew. Its now running again after 40 plus years in a collection so I thought it appropriate after so much time since it last did the run it should do it again! Cant be many cars with 43 years between runs! Its never been restored so it actually is exactly the same car.

image.thumb.jpeg.a110a2b574859a689a3d1cf38021ed96.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.02231086de1aa5fafc697b6ad7e61cdc.jpegar.

Edited by Richard Connew
text got moved
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Howard said:

Keeping to the wedge theme, here is my S+S 1991 conversion TR7V8 taken yesterday. Its parked in front of Lake Vyrnwy dam during a recce for this years Coast 2 Coast run.

C2Crecce.thumb.jpg.55841917f525297055e70bc72895dbcf.jpg

Howard

When I saw the other photo you posted of the dam, I thought it was Vyrnwy but then I did think it was a bit off route for the C2C!

But what the heck.

Chuckle

Bruce

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard Connew said:

This TR8 NWK988W last did the RBRR in 1980 with a Triumph factory/works crew. Its now running again after 40 plus years in a collection so I thought it appropriate after so much time since it last did the run it should do it again! Cant be many cars with 43 years between runs! Its never been restored so it actually is exactly the same car.

Hi Richard

What a fascinating story. I look forward to seeing your car on the event.

Regards

Bruce

• Like 2