• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The entry fee covers our stickers and breakfasts as well as many other things that I'm sure we dont see 1st hand.

Yes you could do this anytime without the fees how many of us actually would be bothered.
I'm under no illusion I wouldnt, and the camaraderie is second to none.

I say if you dont get it you aint done!

Also dont forget out of a team of 3 drivers probably only 1 is doing it in there own car :P

Sarah and I paid £45 each for the privilege of driving my car for an afternoon in pouring rain through Cumbrian farmyards - mind you we did get fed at the end ;)

You either get it or you don't - no criticism from me in either case

doug_foreman wrote:
I know, i'm paying £65 to drive round sussex in september along with a few other people and we don't even get fed for that .completely outrageous...i think i'll ask for my money back ..not

At least try for a discount, it never hurts to ask.  

As I say, the crew and I were happy with the fee, whatever it's for. It was the rest of the world who thought it stupid.  

The £60 per person entry fee covers the following:

Breakfasts at JOG and LE
Snack Food at Conon Bridge
The Roadbook
Finishers Awards

Organisational costs:
Postage
Printing
Telephone  
Equipment for the Control Stops
Contribution towards the Club's Annual Dinner
Travelling expenses
Charitable donation
Hire of some of the Control establishments

Through a very generous offers from a member we have managed to get the car stickers foc.

Last time the event was run in 06, I think we made a small profit which was used to benefit the Club and its members. CT was determined to keep the entry fee at £60 for 08 by attempting to make some savings. This saving will enable a small profit to be made again which will go into the Club's coffers. The entry fee has gone up £10 since 1998.

Of course as the event is run by volunteers we do not get charged for the time spent on organising the event (God knows how much time is spent on the event-loads).

Before criticising the event on the grounds of cost it might be an idea to have a look around at other similar events and see what the cost of entry is like. I have just looked at the cost of Le Jog, for a two person entry it costs £2,250.00, not a far comparison as that event is competitive. However the RBRR equiv. of £120.00 does not look to shakey. Track Days cost about £120, regularity Rallies cost about £70, Hillclimbing and Sprinting costs about £80 to enter an event.

CT really wants to keep the entry cost down to make the cost of the undertaking attractive to the members of CT. Heck the real cost of the event is the fuel:£350-450.

Sorbs ..only taking the P.. tongue in cheek...£65 is the entry fee for that event and that's  it, no discounts...but it is cheaper than a lot of other events that i do.. i would love to do some of the events like Le Jog and classic monte but really can't justify the cost of several thousand quid for a few days motor sport
.having seen the amount of work that Tim puts into the event i don't wonder that he's starting to go a bit thin on top..
Tim i thought the money left from RBRR was going towards the comps comittee caribean xmas do?

I'm desperate to do some long-distance classic rallying but the fees require a choice between an annual family holiday or the mainstream classic rally events. I therefore have to put my family before my classic rally aspirations.  £65 for the RBRR is an absolute bargain.  It's only Tim and the rest of the organising team working theie socks off FOC that keep those fees so low and I'm proud to support them and the club for the sake of £65.  

BTW: I think there's a real niche for low cost long-distance events.  Perhaps something else from the RBRR/10 Countries/HCR format might be added.  Would anyone else be interested in something within the UK over say 250 in a day or 500 miles in a weekend?   It's got to have no marshalls, self-feeding and therefore low fees!   How about the A-road challenge - no motorways and using traditional roadside cafes or pubs?  PM me if interested.

Nick J.

Richard_B wrote:

and how many Round Britain Reliability Runs have you completed?

Believe it or not there is a lot of logistical effort required to organise and run the RRBR. I for one appreciate being a member of a Club than has members willing to put themselves out to assist running this event.

None Richard, and it's a great shame that I felt it necessary to withdraw my entry due to the appalling statements, decisions, attitudes and actions demonstrated by CT earlier this year.  I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Faggots; the final straw. FFS.

RBRR entry also requires CT membership, which I doubt I'll renew hence it's unlikely that I'll ever take part in an official RBRR.

I'm sure the RBRR is great fun and hope that you all enjoy it.  My wishing to have no part of it is probably just a case of me cutting off my nose to spite my face and my mates were a bit disappointed but I tried to support CT many times (including RBRR entry) before finally realising the futility of my efforts.  I still don't think that CT quite appreciates the number of people whom they have comprehensively pissed off.

On a more positive note, my mates and I now have £240 to put towards a drive out in the 2000.  I'll keep you posted...........

Quote:
the appalling statements, decisions, attitudes and actions demonstrated by CT earlier this year.  I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Faggots; the final straw. FFS.

And I don't understand any of that :-/

Probably means I am a sad old git :o

What's faggots got to do with it :-/

Quote:
Martin not the meatball variety

Rob, I reckon I live in the world for the perpetually perplexed.

OK, so I am not that thick that I don't realise there's another connotation to the word just that I can't see the relevance.

Mind you, I am contributing to taking this thread way OT so I'll stop now :B

Good luck to all entrants and I hope to see you all at my control stop - Lancaster services.

sorbs wrote:

None Richard, and it's a great shame that I felt it necessary to withdraw my entry due to the appalling statements, decisions, attitudes and actions demonstrated by CT earlier this year.  I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Faggots; the final straw. FFS.

About time that episode was laid to rest, not really sure how many people really were 'Pissed off', I got lots of messages of support. We have suffered only one withdrawal from the RBRR because of our 'Actions' about DS, Alan told us his withdrawal was due to personal issues. I wish he had told me the real reason. Not really sure why the fire keeps getting stoked on this one, DS is happy as he got to run his Forum, and run it how he wishes, people who have left this forum to Dave's seem to enjoy themselves-just let it be. Far more important things in the 'Real' world to worry about.

Anyrate back to the RBRR, entry has dropped to 113no. entrants, the latest withdrawal being Andy Flexney and his gorgeous TR3A, a shame. I think we will start with 100no cars, a fantastic amount.

I like faggots peas and chips, with gravy - probably the only meal where gravy and chips are acceptable.

As for sorbs' comments, I too am perplexed, if sorbs dropped out to make some statement then I missed it, I thought he just didn't fancy it anymore.

There are enough like minded people in the Club to continue doing what the Club does well, RBRR is not to everyone's taste but then neither is doing nothing.

We do the RBRR to prove our cars and ourselves, for charity and for fun. The Club and the Run doesn't have to fundamentally change. The Run's been going for 42 years now, I think it's bigger than any current politics. As soon as the Run becomes too small to be viable then we'll adopt sorbs plan and just drive around Britain individually. Maybe a couple of us could get together and drive around in a group, maybe make it an event - oh, no, wait a minute, isn't that where all this started?

The RBRR facts are - 42 years in the running, over 650 crews have completed it, over a quarter of million quid raised for charity, "sold out" in a couple of weeks this time, we have our biggest entry by far this year - I think it fair to say we're doing OK. Nothing's forever and there's no room for complaicency but I think we're safe for another year :-)

And we still have a totally open forum where someone like sorbs can run down the club in some of his 2500+ posts and still come back for more and still be welcome.

As our American friends say "Go figure"

Jason wrote:
I like faggots peas and chips, with gravy - probably the only meal where gravy and chips are acceptable.

Are we talking the brains type in the foil tray?
I love them but the wife thinks there vile....I guess everyones different.
I dont like mushy peas some people do.

Alex wrote:

Are we talking the brains type in the foil tray?
I love them but the wife thinks there vile....I guess everyones different.
I dont like mushy peas some people do.

Yup those are the ones - yum :-) Mushy peas are nasty, as are all tinned peas. I do like "garden" peas though

Mushy peas look like something sneezed out of someone with some dreadful flu, and taste like it, too. Not that I've tasted something sneezed out of someone with some dreadful flu, you understand.  I'm talking metaphorically here! ;D!

Mushy peas = Spawn of satan. :P ;D

Quote:
And we still have a totally open forum where someone like sorbs can run down the club in some of his 2500+ posts and still come back for more and still be welcome.

Yes he is welcome - to the best of my knowledge he has never been impolite or discourteous which is fine. I remember saying at the time of the unpleasantness on more than one occasion that being outspoken or controversial was fine, being rude wasn't.

GT6 John, however, in the post he just made must surely needs some censure for the appalling bad taste (almost literally) ;D

And just in case my comment isn't clear enough - that was a joke!

Raider wrote:

Rob, OK, so I am not that thick that I don't realise there's another connotation

Good luck to all entrants and I hope to see you all at my control stop - Lancaster services.

Martin, I know you know that I know that your not thick ;D

And yes Martin, I was gutted when I had to drop out, I am chuffed that Steve asked me to co-drive and now I am gutted again when you have dropped out!

Jason wrote:

Ouch Jason, Now I know your not from 'Up North' because if you were you would know that chips and gravy is a northern delicacy ;D
Chips peas babies head and gravy :)

Love it.

Come on people don’t cut your noses off to make a point, continue with your RBRR and be a part of the event! This little Forum is not all of CT!

Rob

Quote:
I am gutted again when you have dropped out!

I was never in so I can't be out now :P

The small matter of £2000 thrown at the car in rally prep got in the way ;)

Still, all of this in - out -in -out stuff is entertaining. Maybe I could arrange an oke-koke at my control point ;D

timbancroft61 wrote:

About time that episode was laid to rest, not really sure how many people really were 'Pissed off', I got lots of messages of support. We have suffered only one withdrawal from the RBRR because of our 'Actions' about DS, Alan told us his withdrawal was due to personal issues. I wish he had told me the real reason. Not really sure why the fire keeps getting stoked on this one, DS is happy as he got to run his Forum, and run it how he wishes, people who have left this forum to Dave's seem to enjoy themselves-just let it be. Far more important things in the 'Real' world to worry about.

Just wanted to make my reasons for withdrawing from the RBRR clear, perhaps I should have done so earlier, I also wanted to offer some explanation as to why I'm unlikely to renew my membership.

Clear?? :)

Jason wrote:

As our American friends say "Go figure"

I'm entitled to state my opinion.  You don't have to like it! It's quite clear that you often don't!;D

Archived