• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raider wrote:
Rob, I am guessing here but I presume you are fofering your services as a marshal?

I am definitley marshalling and now that Jon has withdrawn maybe we can form a Pendle & Pennine marshalling team ;D

Yes mate I am out due to having to spend my fuel money on the car (new Cam) So as I have booked the days off I am hopinh to help out!
If Tim has need of help in the right places I can help!
I am not sure where I would be needed but I can travel (within reason) to the stop.
I would not mind teaming up mate !
Rob

Rob! I'm gutted you won't be making the RBRR but look forward to seeing you at a control stop. I'm sure you can technically do Blyth and then Lancaster and then turn up at the Plough to watch us all roll in grinning from ear to ear.

Caroline wrote:
Rob! I'm gutted you won't be making the RBRR .

Not as gutted as I am! Sorry as I have been having problems with the engine (cam) since [removed at posters request] built it I have decided to replace it so new cam bought and fitted! This has taken up most of the money I saved for the fuel!
I would not have trusted the car with the race cam in as reliability was an issue.
New cam is sooooo much better and the car is so much more drivable.
I do plan on doing the 10CR next year and I already have a co-driver saying he will go half on the fuel and entry/hotel costs. My RBRR entry would have been funded solely by me and I cannot push for the cash and repair the over-camming!

I am however off to Scotland in the beginning of Aug and I am really looking forward to the superb roads and views.

Take care and I will see you in Sep meet!

Rob

I got a bit disheartened whilst I was doing the admin as there were withdrawals BUT then I realised that we've extended the Running List and still have reserves, when I stopped and thought of potentially 120 Triumphs starting from the Plough all my doldrums evaporated!

I still haven't seen a Triumph (or standard) in India yet :-(

Just done a brief tally chart of the types of Triumph taking part at pres.

2000/2500 mk2: 18no.
Spitfire: 17no.
2000/2500 mk1: 14no.
Dolomite: 13no.
Stag: 10no.
Herald: 9no.
Vitesse: 8no.
GT6: 8no.
TR4/4A: 5no.
TR6: 5no.
TR7/8: 5no.
Acclaim: 2no.
TR5: 2no.
TR3: 1no
Std Ten: 1no

Plus two crews who have not disclosed what vehicles they will be using.

I am still amazed that only 5 wedges will be taking part, surely a good car for this event: Cheapish, comfortable and good cruising ability when fitted with a 5 speed box.

Also rather weirdly we had 4 round tail Spits taking part, now all 4 have dropped out! All Spits taking part are now square tail.

Two cars taking part feature engines from other makes:
John Martin and Clive Senior in Clive's Ford Zetec engined Spitfire
Karl Dandridge's Herald Coupe, which I understand will feature a Vauxhall 'Red Top' 2000 Twin Cam lump.
Three big saloons have Rover V8s: Roger Keys' V8 engined mk2 estate, Roger Baldwinson's V8 engine mk2 saloon and Andy Mac's V8 engined mk1 saloon-a real beastie!

52no cars taking part will feature the Triumph six cylinder engine!

The 120no. crews entered have enjoyed 276no. RBRR finshes, of course Tim Hunt is looking for his 15th Finish!

Response to the 'Economy Run' idea has been very good, many crews seem keen to enter this new aspect of the RBRR.

More stats at some point later on!

timbancroft61 wrote:
Response to the 'Economy Run' idea has been very good, many crews seem keen to enter this new aspect of the RBRR.

I put this question to my crew and the unanimous decision was

"only if we can opt out on some sections, as they *have* to be driven hard to enjoy them" (dance)(evil)

Quote:
I am still amazed that only 5 wedges will be taking part, surely a good car for this event: Cheapish, comfortable and good cruising ability when fitted with a 5 speed box.
Sounds like someone is warming to 7's. Careful, next thing you know you'll be saying Acclaims aren't too bad.

timbancroft61 wrote:
I have always appreciated the softer nature of a TR7-However bit of a boulevard cruiser-soft'ish ride and no brakes-how can anyone push one of those!!

I think you'll find Martin is going to give it a damned good go when he enters his first rally event!(cool)

If you read reply no. 205, you will see my surprise that only 5no. TR7/8s are entered. A very suitable sportscar for the RBRR.

However a std car featuring minute brakes and softish springs and poor top end crusing when a 4 speed box is fitted do not make a car that is easy to drive for long distances.

Theo Boonen and Chris Shaw's examples of the type prove that these cars can be transformed.

Does anyone still have standard TR7 out there? All the ones I see at appear to have been tweaked somewhere along the line - from the essential upgrades of brakes and headlights right through to V8 engines at the other extreme.  :)

Well I did the RBRR in my TR7 when it was a standard 8 valve with 4 speed box and standard brakes - I certainly enjoyed the run and much preferred the TR over my Vitesse (with overdrive, uprated sespension, greenstuff pads, braided hoses blah blah blah).

The car in 4 speed form did pretty damned well on the 2003 10CR too

But - they are certainly much better cars with the 5 speed box, uprated suspension and brakes etc.

And yes John - I certainly do intend giving it a good go in BRP and soon too now ;)

Well, I have just sent an emailto Jason regards my entry, as due to time and money constraints I feel that I am unable to complete the car in time. If I can spare the time I wish to volunteer my efforts as a Marshall, as I would still love to help out in some way, so maybe I shall see you all at some control?? I shall know more about this nearer the time.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Well last years 10cr we did in a standard 7 and made all 11 countries. The only problem we had was boiling the brake fluid coming down Stelvio. I do miss the advantage of a couple of extra drivers in the back, but that's what you get for owning a two seater sports car. The car has a good heater, a good roof and enough power to make it fun. We hit 110mph in Germany, which it was happy with, so can't fault the car.
On the HCR ok! it had been upgraded a bit and we led at the half way stage on points. If it wasn't for me not fully tightening the front disc bolts, i think the car would have won. ;)
I like the other Triumphs that i see and it is great to meet people keeping the old cars on the road.
Let's see how we get on on the 2008RBRR.

SEXYSI

There's been some more movement and I'll do the tidy up on the list later tonight but I think every current entry will get a place. We've had the largest ever entry and have the largest ever running list. Even if we "lost" another 20 runners it would still be the largest ever RBRR.

Please please please keep me up to date with crew and car changes - DO NOT leave it t o the last minute it really be more hassle for the organisers :-)

Archived