Yep, I cannot think of anyone less fashionable!!!

I am always surprised at the small number of Stags that take part, apart from the cost of the fuel I cannot think of a car more suitable for the RBRR.

Thinking about the RBRR I reckon the most suitable cars are:
Stag
Spitfire 1500
Dolomite Sprint
TR6
TR7 5 speed
2000 range
Apart from the TR7, all with overdrive boxes.

Most bizarre and down right daft: Atlas Van.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim your forgetting one of your own.....................GT6

If we have a cold snap the GTsixers will still be toasty and warm ;)

Or if it is unseasonaly warm then maybe not......................................unless you want to lose a bit of weight in 48hrs LOL

timbancroft61 wrote:
Yep, I cannot think of anyone less fashionable!!!

I am always surprised at the small number of Stags that take part, apart from the cost of the fuel I cannot think of a car more suitable for the RBRR.

Thinking about the RBRR I reckon the most suitable cars are:
Stag
Spitfire 1500
Dolomite Sprint
TR6
TR7 5 speed
2000 range
Apart from the TR7, all with overdrive boxes.

Most bizarre and down right daft: Atlas Van.

If Triumph can take one to Tangiers, we can take one round Britain :-)

GT6 ruled out as not enough space. I have done the RBRR 5 times in mine as well as 2 10Cr events-I know the limitations and heat does not figure.

Atlas ruled out as Cr*p!

Acclaim, well I won't be rude!

Sorry about this its only a bit of fun.

Only one vehicle not suitable, in fact total metalism to use one and yep, the wheels are inset and it has transverse front leaf spring! Thank god for the Transit!

The difference between a GT6 and a Spitfire is that the tools and minimal luggage can be kept in a Spits boot, wheras in a GT6 to safely store they have to go behind the drivers seat and onto the luggage area, this makes finding stuff a pain. No space behind the passenger seat as the seat must recline. Obviously a Spit is not as good a car for cruising on motorways as a GT6, but of course better through the curves etc.

Keith Dandridge had it sorted, he uses a space saver spare wheel and stows tools/parts and luggage in half the spare wheel well. Only problem is that no space for a full sized wheel if a puncture does happen!

Suppose the answer for all GT6 entrants is to give their stuff to Dave and Jase and ask them to take it around for them, will mean a wait at The Plough till the Monday night that the Atlas boys arrive back. RBRR in 72hrs?

i have to choose between removing the rollbar and using the softop which gives me a whole boot for for the spare and a jack plus a few spanners or keeping the rollbar and using the korbler top but this means that when the tops down and in the boot there is very little room for anything else.

Hang on, hang on - cargo in the Atlas, that's taking liberties! We've got to make sure it will carry us first

Mind you, I'm just leafing through "Turn Left for Tangier" now and those boys did 9650 miles in an Atlas - this was 1959! They had no trouble with the fully laden 948cc Atlas at all.

Something that makes all this slot into place is that the code name for the Atlas was "Zany" - speaks volumes doesn't it!

There's a passage in the book that reads "To me, the ultimate tribute to the robustness of the Standard Ten engine lies in one slightlt weathered Atlas bus. To put it aritthmetically once more, 9,000 miles in overdrive top with a 5:1 final drive and 6.40 x 13 tyres adds up to just under 40,000,000 revolutions"

Not sure if Jase has mentioned that we now have 112no. entries.

I have just received the Road Books and the car stickers. James C is about to order the RBRR outline sticker for the rear panels of cars.

The Road Books are spiral bound this time, all crews will get two copies. The rest will go to the marshals.

Please note that details about the controls and times will be outlined within the Sept issue of Club Torque.

My little pad is turning into RBRR central-top!

timbancroft61 wrote:
Obviously a Spit is not as good a car for cruising on motorways as a GT6, but of course better through the curves etc.

Tim Next time your 'up north' you will av to take mine out! I would pit it against any GT6 on the motorway cruse! GT6 diff and overdrive it burbles along at very low revs! and is very relaxing to drive on motorways!

timbancroft61 wrote:
Hate for an Acclaim-no just indifference (Is that worse)?

No shame in an Acclaim?

I've said it before amd I'll say it now - the Acclaim is a splendid car, a worthy Triumph and ideal for the RBRR!
Kevin's Acclaim took a team of three hefty  blokes around the 2006 course, without missing a beat or a check point - it nearly missed its exhaust when I drove it at high speed across a partly filled in ditch on a main road.   In various fast and twiddly bits it overtook a GT6 and kept up with a TR6. It was first to arrive at Pimperne, and we're taking it again!

Watch out Pimperne!  Bags I first at the Victoria spongecake!

JOhn

1st: I did the last run in a Acclaim.  That car did the 04 and is again entered.  Nothing broke and the only problem was a slight sway in the rear at speeds over 95MPH.  I understand that has been fixed.  For the entire run we were in the frount of the pack.  

2nd: I don't care what the Van hauls for anyone else as long as the PortaPotty stays.

3rd:  200 BEERS! No Problem but,  Some of us have a long drive at the end.  No way will I let Jason have too many as he ain't gonna upchuck in MY CAR on the way to his house!  (puke)

??)

Archived