Can't say for sure if thier will be a Team DollyRoo this time.  Dolly has done 2 and I have done 3.  Geting older.  Tim, I plan on comming over and I might marshell if you need one.  Anywhere if you have problems filling hard to get people.  Yes Ash want's to do anouther and he might talk me into it.  Wife thinks I have done enough and air fair is going up.  DollyRoo got it's new laminated tinted windscreen installed and is ready to go.  Our normal 3rd co driver, Peter Wenzel says he has done enough.  As to price of fuel, everything is going up.  Don't know what effect if any the Greek problem will add.  Still spliting cost 3 way makes it easey'er.  For those who have not done one, Please give it a try I know you will enjoy it.  

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1684 wrote:
Not got Novembers Club Torque yet. Hope it's not lost in the post. I'm going on my hols next week and want to get the form in.

Quote from Tim in an earlier post:

Just a quick reminder to let interested parties know that RBRR 2012 entry opens with the publication of the November edition issue of Club Torque, this will be approximately 15/11.

I can't wait for the 2012 RBRR. I will be in my latest steed a 1975 Tahiti blue 2000 saloon. I bought it back in May and it has undergone some improvements. Dale has transformed the drive train and the performance of the car on my behalf as I am buried in building works at home and trying to restore a Mk 3 Spitfire. (and he is much better at it than me!)

Full team to be confirmed.

Thank you to all the organisers you do such a fantastic job for us.

I had hoped to enter in 2012 but an impending operation on my foot has knackered that for a plan :( I hope to go down to one of the check points though and help out.

With a bit of luck i'll be ready for the 2014 event.

Good man. That's exactly why I joined Club Triumph in 2002. Be careful, once you've done one, you'll be hooked. I've completed 4 now, but there are plenty more CT events to do in the intervening 24 months.

My top tip. Get the work done as soon as you can and start using the car regularly to iron out the niggles.

RussellBanyard wrote:
My top tip. Get the work done as soon as you can and start using the car regularly to iron out the niggles.

No, No, No, you've got it all wrong, you're supposed to think about starting your preparation a year before, then actually start it on the Friday morning of the event.

Works for at least one person I know... :-)

RussellBanyard wrote:

... then finish the work required somewhere near John O'Groats on Saturday - preferably while your team are still driving the car.  :)

I heard a rumour that Mike is planning to do a clutch change on a down hill stretch so that they don't even have to stop for that!  ;D

Good luck to the new members, I too joined CT for the RBRR in 2004 - ( Crashed my rebuilt Spitfire 1500 with a seized diff in Scotland - long ride home!)

2006 bought clapped out Dolly Auto with 1300 engine and blew the head gasket slightly on Dartmoor, had to get out and push up the last big hill but made it home 2nd last .

2008 - ( Gussett Brown )1978  1500 HL Dolly. All went well until I put bloody Diesel in it in Oswestry (I was not alone 6 other people made the same mistake ) finished well but shredded a new front tyre right down to the steel -Ooops new steering rack required.

2010 - Lovely 1500 HL entered again but written off before the event by a fail to stop idiot whilst parked outside my house (Call me lucky) Did the event with Jonathan Kubiak in his 72 Spitfire. Lost count of breakdowns after 7( 1. Oil capillary split lost 7 pints of Oil, 2. Starter lead detatched, 3.  Slow Puncture 4. Wheel change 5. Just caught up when alternator bottom bolt sheared. ( Especialy brilliant 4am bodge involving  a length of 6mm Studding and a Swiss army knife) 6. Ignition Switch meltdown 1.   7. Ignition Switch complete failure and bypass by hotwire. We  had to cut out most of  Cornwall and missed breakfast but made it to the end.

I am totally hooked on the event for 2012 I have bought a 1975 Mk 2 2000 Auto and I started my prep for 2012 back in May. Daft thing is the best preparation is to run your car as a daily driver as this throws up most of the niggles that will occur on a long drive. Did my first test run of 430 miles last week all went well until both carburettors mysteriously undid their caps after 260 miles one of them diasappeared leaving the plunger in the bore. I carried out a typical bodge and sealed the offending carb with a finger cut of a rubber glove and a jubilee clip.  

Bring a comprehensive toolkit including a spare Petrol pump and an alternator if you can as these items tend to fail regularly on the RBRR. oh and make sure you check your Diff for leaks and oil level both before and during the event. Fit electronic Ignition but keep your self a spare set of points and condenser.

Choosing your Co driver wisely is very sound advice as the sheer intensity of this event combined with lack of sleep over 48 hours can be very trying. I have always been very lucky in this regard although I can't speak for my Co drivers.

I am usually bringing up the rear due to some problem or other but I have been able to help out a number of other teams with spares, bodges and tools and this is a huge part of the event, the comraderie is akin to being in a battle and is very rewarding.

See you on the event .

Darren

OLF has had the following mods so far in Preparation for the RBRR in 2012 and future events

1. Matching set of tyres.

2. Tracking.

3. New Viscous coupling .

4. Gearbox mount Kit ( Rubbish quality from Rimmers and needed a lot of fettling to get it to fit but has improved the car for now
but I expect it will need a Chris witor kit before too long.

5. Carb rebuild and extensive rebuilding of the rear end, Polybushing, rear brakes and fitting of a Witor semi sports exhaust courtesy of the good auspices of Mr Barker (Moordale Motors).

6. New Alternator, service parts and hoses.

7. Some preventative painting undersealing and a little welding.

I will be looking to replace the shocks and Springs next  and I am hunting down a 2500S front cross member and associated Anti rollbar.

This lot sounds a bit extensive, but having done the event in three different cars of my own and two other events in other peoples vehicles, ( thanks Jon and Karl) I am looking to build a car for the long term and get it set right for a number of CT events as well as everyday use.

Darrenspitty.

1968 Mk 3 Spitfire. Currently Undergoing serious reconstruction with lots of new panels in preparation for a  bare metal  respray in Signal Red .

1971 TR6 In Sapphire Blue. Recent Diff seals but otherwise mechanically good. next job is to refoam the seats

1975 Mk 2 2000 The daily and future event car.

Is there going to be an electronic version of the entry form available in the Member's Area once Club Torque hits the doormats? I'm working away this week, so won't see my copy until the weekend. I've even brought my chequebook away with me.  :)

Russell.

well i've heard there's no cake at pimperne so def a riot brewing... it too jopined the club back in 19somehting or other cos i had just aquired a GT6 and heard of this club that did this mad thing for two days and thought 'that sounds fun' have now done 6 ...my next car will be a choice of two..my mk1 saloon which is on the road now and has had a few bits here and there .or my standard 'super' 10 which is not on the road but when it gets there it will be a bit mad

Archived