thescrapman wrote:

Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt 3 times now.

Well once myself (20 years off road), once as a half owner (only off road a few years but bodged to buggery by previous owners) and once as a supporter of the owner (off road 15-odd years)

Having a target is very good.

If you take a 948 you will need to very very conscious of the timings, there are a lot less long straight sections where power is less important than there used to be.

And there are lots of people out there willing to be co-drivers.

But... START NOW!!!! It is only 12 months away, and that is not very long, do not start with a week to go, like others I know.. :-)

Chjeers

Colin

Well to kick things off I need to be a member of CT so that's my birthday present sorted. Colin I'll drop you a PM I need a few odds n sods.

I know 12 months seeems like a long time but i'm sure it will fly by. I would like it on the road for a least a month before I have to run it over 2000 miles in 48 hours.

Stephend

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3122 wrote:
That's a point; what time will I need to become a Club Triumph Member? (Or at what time will I need to kidnap/adopt a CT member?  ;) )

That is the clever bit about opening the entries 12 months in advance, it makes it almost impossible not to be a member for 2 years..... :-)

And rightly so!

Join now, you will have your number in plenty of time and then rejoin just beofre the event.

Cheers

Colin

Tim - bit of an update on the "shamed" PI.....
Firstly - despite being nominally short of power, the 2000 made it round the 10CR almost without incident (brakes faded once and the lights column stalk packed up, otherwise all ok!) - that's the third long distance event that has done successfully now, and it's earnt about £8k in charity money, so it's doing well!
The PI misfire was traced to a faulty injector, and the brakes have improved now that we have fitted jubilee clips to the replacement servo vacuum hoses, which look not to have fitted very well.  Done some analysis on the engine - 50psi oil pressure at hot tickover, rising to 80-85psi under load, and between 230-240 compression on each cylinder - so that all sounds pretty good to me.  Engine vacuum is still rubbish though - now dropped to about 6" - so I can only think that it is the throttle bodies still out of balance or worn.

Bit of an update on my Spitfire - I *finally*; after 4 months of deliberating; got my HS2s on with a fresh gasket.

It appears that my old gasket was blowing and it seems to pick up better, although it is running on the rich side. I had one almighty misfire, but it seems to have only occurred that once. Took around 1-2 minutes of cranking for the floats to fill up, and I was thinking that it wasn't going to go and fully ready to put the HS4s back on (defeatist mentality!).

So after I have tuned them up, I can crack on with other bits and pieces.

Also bought from eBay some big saloon bulb holders and bulbs, I think Jonny Jimbo on here was selling them, so that I can (hopefully) solve my earthing problems on the rear.

Kind regards,

David

Really dont know which car to do it in! Just completed the 10cr in 1500 spit with non OD box and as James says really need to do it in a spitfire once! did it in 04 in GT6 and really should try and do it in a different car done it twice in a row in the Taxi

what do you reckon?

Taxi or Shedfire?

ajp wrote:
Really dont know which car to do it in! Just completed the 10cr in 1500 spit with non OD box and as James says really need to do it in a spitfire once! did it in 04 in GT6 and really should try and do it in a different car done it twice in a row in the Taxi

what do you reckon?

Taxi or Shedfire?

Didnt you have a stag lurking in the back of the shed?

PaulB wrote:
So Floyd are you using the stag or gt6 ?

With the price of petrol it would only ever be the gt6, which coincedently passed it's mot 1/2 an hour ago, bit of an advisory on the rear brakes, one side wasn't doing much but as it doesn't weigh much it still passed. Have to say I wasn't expecting it to go through as I've not used it since the last rbrr, still on the same dregs of petrol which meant it wasn't exactly running smoothly, but hopefully thats easily sorted.

ajp wrote:

what do you reckon?

Taxi or Shedfire?

taxi. So I can compare my yellow car against it!  ;D

ajp wrote:
If the weather is like this October next year it topless shedfire all the way!

Can't see that happening, somehow. It did the same last year - glorious weather the weekend before and then slashed it down pretty much all weekend for the event itself.
I'll be happy to be proved wrong, though   :P

Just had the nod from Graham my co-driver from last year that he'd like to do it again - provided I use the Stag. :) :) :) Well it did go round the 10CR with no trouble last month

Question is: Should we do it with the hard top on or off? Memories of getting soaked in the Spitfire on the way into Cornwall and through Glencoe come to mind :o - only got a year to decide ;)

Steve

Well I've agreed to be Mark deTriomphe's co driver in his 2.5 saloon. However out of the last 3 RBRRs I was suppossed to be a co-driver in someone elses car in 2 of them, (once with Mark and once with Jason) and both times we ended up having to use my GT6. So I better get prepping the GT6 again then just in case!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a quick reminder to let interested parties know that RBRR 2012 entry opens with the publication of the November edition issue of Club Torque, this will be approximately 15/11.

One thing that will be obvious to all will be that the cost of entry has gone up from £65/entrant to £80/entrant. We regret this increase, but preliminary chats with the Hotels we use for breakfasts and afternoon snacks have resulted in increases. Also we hope to have the Drivers Meeting at Gaydon again, so the cost of entry to the museum is included, we hope that many more will attend the DM.

The biggest fear is that cost of fuel may make the event too costly for some, at todays prices a 30mpg car will result in a £415 fuel cost. Still it looks unlikely that fuel will drop in price, so we hate to imagine what the price will be in 2014??

We do hope that many take part, still an essential motoring event!

timbancroft61 wrote:

at todays prices a 30mpg car will result in a £415 fuel cost. Still it looks unlikely that fuel will drop in price, so we hate to imagine what the price will be in 2014??

We do hope that many take part, still an essential motoring event!

£415 if you live in or around enfield Tim, with a 300+ mile round trip to the plough (and missing Lancaster services and having to skirt back.....oops!) it's more like a £500 fuel bill in the estate. Wouldn't miss it for the world though and a whole year still to save up for petrol. :)

I think we maybe a 3 driver team next year with Amanda joining Dad and I for the 'essential motoring trip'. Well it is her car. ;)

Colin.

Archived