• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

timbancroft61 wrote:

I am dead chuffed that we have 5no. mk1 Pi cars taking part, I realise that I let the side down by still having the old carbs fitted, but 11mpg (James Cooper!!!).

Hopefully I will be able to make it again with some subtle rescheduling of my Canadian duties  ;) (whistle)

What do you have against PI Tim - I thought that was the whole point of a Mk1 PI?? I think if you took the leap of faith that plenty of people (me included) would ensure you have a reliable and economical machine. If it is a standard car I think you will find its a pretty simple bolt on conversion - get the pump + plumbing sorted beforehand and then it can be done in an afternoon.

AlanChatterton wrote:
What?!?!?!?!?!

No cakes?!??!

I may have to re-consider my entry!

Best stop of the run that was, why has it gone?

I suspect Mr Elfin Safety thought wwe might get poisioned by teh WI.

There are ways to ensure he doesn't get a say in the matter, some of which require you to ignore him.

Cheers

Colin

lagerzok wrote:

If it is a standard car I think you will find its a pretty simple bolt on conversion - get the pump + plumbing sorted beforehand and then it can be done in an afternoon.

Sounds like a job for 'The Plough' on THE Friday afternoon ;) Many hands make light work.

Come on Tim, take the plunge, the magic of a pi isn't the the black vinyl rear pillar trims, it's those throttle bodies, the way the engine answers the throttle, the knowledge you are driving the ultimate factory incarnation of the straight six engine  and the way the car starts on 4, then 5, then 6 cylinders like a Rolls Royce Merlin engine in a Spitfire (yes I know they were 12 cylinders but anyone with a pi will know what I mean). It makes a big saloon a bit Jeckyll and Hyde ;)

Colin.

And as for Pimperne, there were no cakes left by the time we arrived last year anyway! :B

It wasn't the organiser's decision not to go to Pimperne, the members who provide the cakes and administer the stop felt they would like a change I think and they decided they'd like to retire at the top of their game. It's a shame but I for one and very grateful for the previous year's cakes :-)

royboy66 wrote:
If its any consolation,

Im currently in Negotiations with Jules and her mum for cup cakes again at the  Gledrid Control stop  !  ;)  

You lot Scoffed nearly all 300 that they made last year !  :P ;D

Roy. 8)

Not guilty!  I was filling up with petrol. Dave told me about the cakes when we were about three miles down the road and that he had scoffed two while he was paying for the petrol !!!!!!!

royboy66 wrote:

You lot Scoffed nearly all 300 that they made last year !  :P ;D

Very Very guilty...  ::)

Darren and I packed away quite a few whilst Mr Bishop slept like a log in the back of the Sprint.

We very kindly mentioned the cakes to him about 3 hours later...  ;)

Cheers

Colin

lagerzok wrote:

Hopefully I will be able to make it again with some subtle rescheduling of my Canadian duties  ;) (whistle)

What do you have against PI Tim - I thought that was the whole point of a Mk1 PI?? I think if you took the leap of faith that plenty of people (me included) would ensure you have a reliable and economical machine. If it is a standard car I think you will find its a pretty simple bolt on conversion - get the pump + plumbing sorted beforehand and then it can be done in an afternoon.

Andy,

Nowt against PI, a wonderful system to have on the car. Its just that the old thing does go well for a road car that has SU carbs fitted. I have all the original PI equipment at home,some refubishment etc and all would be good. Have driven Doug's car and must admit I like the immediacy of the throttle input that the Pi system gives.

I texted Doug to get him to send in the Entry Form, be good to see you guys on the event again.

As for Pimperne, Jason is correct, the CT members who run the stop and do the baking were not keen. I for one am grateful for the work previously done. Now on the look out for a good location, I have one or two in mind.

thescrapman wrote:

Very Very guilty...  ::)

Darren and I packed away quite a few whilst Mr Bishop slept like a log in the back of the Sprint.

We very kindly mentioned the cakes to him about 3 hours later...  ;)

Cheers

Colin

He must have been so pleased to be travelling with "friends" like that!

timbancroft61 wrote:

Andy,

Nowt against PI, a wonderful system to have on the car. Its just that the old thing does go well for a road car that has SU carbs fitted. I have all the original PI equipment at home,some refubishment etc and all would be good. Have driven Doug's car and must admit I like the immediacy of the throttle input that the Pi system gives.

I texted Doug to get him to send in the Entry Form, be good to see you guys on the event again.

As for Pimperne, Jason is correct, the CT members who run the stop and do the baking were not keen. I for one am grateful for the work previously done. Now on the look out for a good location, I have one or two in mind.

No drama Tim - sure you have plenty on your plate - if you ever decide to make the leap of faith just ask in case I'm in the country - the only issue I can foresee is the linkages and the 6-3-1 but I think Mk1 PI fit - Shackford would know

If Pimperne is off the list then I'm not too upset I (for now) am not running.  I think we all agree it was the BEST stop.  Could that be that entrys are down so far?  I also miss the stop at the Dartmore Lodge in 06!  Best lunch so far for me.  I thought Dartmore really put on the FEED BAG!   Remember Pat and I cross the Pond for those cakes and Cookies!  

I said Cookies, not that Cookie in a nappy yellow GT6   ::)

While the big Saloon's are nice, a Dolomite does just fine.

Jason wrote:
I'm up to entry number 86 so far so it hasn't put people off :-)

Number 84 saying hello! ;D
Just a shame we didn't get number 18 (as we'll both be 18 during the event) or 77 ('cos the car's the only '77 in the RBRR) :P

Rather excited now... imagine what I'll be like on the actual event!  :o ;D :P

AlanChatterton wrote:
If you could engineer a stop near Redditch, I'm sure Sam and the girls can whip up a few hundred cakes!!

Alan cant they deliver to another stop?......Or you could bring them with you and dish them out at the start! :)

Alex wrote:

Alan cant they deliver to another stop?......Or you could bring them with you and dish them out at the start! :)

Even better, as you will be in an enormous estate, you can drive them round and dish them out at every stop.

Get the girls to bake approx 5000, that should do us 1 each at most of the stops.

:-)

lagerzok wrote:

No drama Tim - sure you have plenty on your plate - if you ever decide to make the leap of faith just ask in case I'm in the country - the only issue I can foresee is the linkages and the 6-3-1 but I think Mk1 PI fit - Shackford would know

Yes Mk1 PI or TR5/Early6 150BHP Linkage fits with 6-3-1 with no clearance problems and works well .

Goody wrote:
Jason: What I meant was that if I remember, the last two runs were full by this time.  I notice a number of regulers are not running.  Is the guy with Winston on the Boot entered?

Yes Bill he is in my crew, Steve that is not the woofer.......and no he is not putting it on my boot/trunk lid either!

Archived