My overdrive not disengaging problem isn`t electrical,it came back on the way to Duxford,also i now have a new problem.It seems to be sucking air into the fuel lines somewhere causing intermittent mis-firing and the filter empties when stationery(see other post).

I dont think i`m meant to do this run.
S

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it actually hates me. I have never thought that of a car before.

As a consequence I got within a few minutes of creating a 2000 shaped BBQ this weekend... :-(

Considering the car was almost ready at the beginning of July, it has taken against me with a vengence.

Thanks to Mr Radders for yet more assistance, it is actually drivable again, so tomorrow it is going to work.

I am willing it to play up on me again so I can kick and scream at it, then I will probably feel much better.

I still have a long list of jobs to do!

Cheers

Colin

Went to Duxford today to test run the Spitty. Good job I did as I only did 8 miles and broke down. On investigation it was found the petrol was not getting to the carbs.
disconnected the petrol pipe before the in line filter and operated the electric fuel pump primer switch. Nothing being pumped out, swapped electric pump with spare still nothing. Thinking that a few days ago I ran the tanks nearly empty before filling I may have picked up a load of crud from the tank. Anyway while waited for the breakdown truck I noticed I was parked next to a house with a Daimler Dart in the drive,. A very nice bloke came out and made me a cup and we had a good chat which passed the time.
Back at home I stuck the compressor on the fuel line and blew back towards the tank. BANG !!!!!!  The rubber hose connecting to the top of the pump in the boot blew apart.
I noticed it was very soft and may have been callapsed inside causing the problem. I will also check the tank air vent pipe to make sure that's clear.

Exhaust is much better now with a second silencer fitted and also the front pipe to manifold joint sealed.
Jobs left are the tracking which I'll be doing this afternoon when I'm hope from work, fit socket things to enable phones to be charged. Sort out what if any spares I have for this car and pack them along with a selection of tools.

Then pack stuff for my self, mainly water proof and warm clothing as we plan on doing as much of the route as we can with the roof down........yes we are mad

and no Tim we're not going to swtich to the TR7, well we can't as it's not ready.

Sorted. It was the 3 inch piece of rubber pipe from the hard plastic tank pipe to the electric pump in the boot. It's only been on a year and has completely failed.
Now replaced with a new R9 petrol pipe... I opened up the old piece and the inner part was about as sturdy as a ballon. So when the pump was sucking the inside callapsed and stopped the flow.  

1684 wrote:
Sorted. It was the 3 inch piece of rubber pipe from the hard plastic tank pipe to the electric pump in the boot. It's only been on a year and has completely failed.
Now replaced with a new R9 petrol pipe... I opened up the old piece and the inner part was about as sturdy as a ballon. So when the pump was sucking the inside callapsed and stopped the flow.  

Better to have it sorted now than fail on the run!
:-)

More bad news. Took the Spiity out and again broke down. No fuel again pumping from the electric pump.
OK if you keep finger on the priming push button on the dash. So drove it home like that.
I think it is the safety cutout switch which works off oil pressure. I have bypassed this and it's now been ticking over for the last half hour no problem. Will take it for another test run soon.  Meanwhile I'll try and get another ordered and hope it arrives on time.

Fingers crossed we are getting there!! After finding some nasty previous owner bodges I have carefully gone through as much as I can with the Stag! Not long been back from more prep work! Been at my friendly MOT testers with the car on the ramp! Thanks Ian!!  Managed to cure a few exhaust leaks, do all the grease points, change diff oil. Have also changed the gearbox oil as opinion seems to be LT77 should run on ATF. Mine had well skanky EP90 in so have changed for fresh ATF and now change seems better!! One thing not sure about is the electric fan in front of the radiator! We had car running for a while to check exhaust leaks and I noticed warm air being pushed towards the front of the car as in the fan is drawing the air towards the front? Surely it should push the air through the rad towards the back of the car? Presumably this would help with the under bonnet temperatures as everything seems to get very hot to me!! Cooling does appear to be a tad marginal if gauge is to be believed of course! Heater given up again now aswell. At least it is polished and got the stickers on though!!

Sounds like your fan is rotating the wrong way Craig. Just reverse the leads. I have a "pushing" Kenlowe in front of the rad on the 4A. If you look at the fan from the front (through the radiator grille) it rotates anti-clockwise but of course the blade design on yours might be different.

Tim

Thanks Tim. Yes thought of reversing the wires. It currently runs anti-clockwise. The blades are obviously shaped and will work differently clockwise but I think I might just try it anyway! Not sure what brand the fan is though. Just looked through the many receipts that came with the car but nothing for the fan! Craig.

Thanks to the assistance of third crew man Graham Parkins, Gertie had four brand new tyres fitted last night as well as valves, balancing, tracking and 4 wheel alignment check.

All that's needed now is to purchase some spare halogen headlight bulbs and some Valvoline VR1 oil to take with us. Friday morning will be loading tools & spares and washing and stickering up.  :)

Well at Blyth, we have to:
Put up two banners
Erect a Gazebo
Set up lighting
Set up chairs and tables
Do a check list
Phone non arrivals off
Then take down two banners
Take down a gazebo
Pack up the chairs and tables
Text off the non arrivals to the next marshal point

....and all you beggars have to do is get a signature and drive off.... :) ;)

Well that was clever! Changed the terminals round on the cooling fan and it didn't work! Changed back and still didn't work! Powered the fan up off the power probe and spins the other way pushing cool air through the radiator as expected. Checked fuses and relays and still no action off the switch so going to have to rewire it tomorrow evening!! Thought had better put the hood up and check it is okay as not really taken any notice before! Seems okay!! Boot partially packed, stickers on!! Getting there!!

Made a few adjustments to the car including installing a new Alt as the output of the old was kinda week.  Adjusted the headlights.  Thanks BIG Time to Pete and Clive for all the time and work they put into the car.  Highlighted the map to match the road book this morning.  Packed all the spares and things we will need. All stickers on  car.  I think the car is ready.  See you all at the Plough tomorrow.   Team DollyRoo.