• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gearbox is in (thanks Steve), having modified a spitfire gearbox loom (it was available and in good nick) and added another switch so i have OD on second as well, should help up the hills. Also a better spigot bearing.

Clutch was as expected brand new, confirming the info I received that the damage to the gearbox during teh replacement was what took it off the road.

Manifolds cleaned and refitted, all the little bodges rectified on the carbs.

New cross member bushes, and a good second hand gearbox mount fitted.

Just the exhaust to refit. I have been hammering and banging it to try to repair the damage caused by clamping it very tight to try to compress it down to fit onto a smaller diameter front pipe.

Need to get some manifold to front pipe studs and the matching nuts and on it will go.

Cheers

Colin

Sam, I suggest that you fit relays (if you haven't already done so) which will stop your dip switch from burning out if. I had to do this on my Dolomite when the sealed beams started to fail. The car is now future proofed and has relays to protect the dip switch. Losing your headlights in the middle of nowhere won't be fun on the RBRR.

Been investigating the really annoying rotational knocking on the back of my herald today,i cant for the life of me see anything wrong.Its had a brand new 3:63 from Mike papworth,new flanges and u/j`s to match the diff flanges.

I replaced the shaft complete on the nearside with one that came off my Vitesse after the CV conversion,now the noise seems to be offside,its a pita i dont need,i might just buy a recon shaft tomorrow.
Steve

Well Jessica's Coupé got an MOT on Friday, first time on the road in 20 months  ??)

She and Steph are going to put some miles on it now to give it a chance to settle down before RBRR.  (Just about to post a carb needle query in the Technical section)

Now I need to fix the heater in my MkI PI... Scotland can be cold

Fitted new spark plus, did the tappets, points and timing last night, tuned the carbs tonight.

A bit of a pin tuning the carbs, my webber "snail" synchrometer wont fit between the rear carb and the suspension turret on the dolly. I had to resort to "old school" carb balancing by ear using a tube between the chokes and my lug'ole, seems to have worked alright as the car is running smoother. I'll have to look out for a right angle adaptor for the snail whoch I know is available but no rush for the RBRR as I'm happy with the tuning.  The carb Mixtrures should be good anyway as I used my trusty colortune for that...

I've been out in the garage every night this week prepping away and the Flying Log is all but ready now. Just need to change the oil and filter which I'll do a couple of days before the run, oh and check and if necessary top up the gearbox oil while I'm all oily from the oil change...

Then that's it job done.

Have spent the past 2 weeks on and off trying to fit the exhaust, not impressed.. :-(

Why when the only bit I have changed is the front pipe did it not fit anywhere anymore.

Is now in place and not touching anything, so just need to get the clamps on that I purchased this morning.

Then I can get it down on the ground and test the gearbox to see if it works.

Then I will start the proper prep work........