Did 200 miles today delivering a tv for my 93 year old nan.
Only issue that came to light was the electric fan failed to work.....worked Saturday for mot.
Need to have a look at that, but it still didn't overheat despite a long delay on the m4.
Temperature gauge didn't go about 3/4 and quickly returned to 1/2 once moving again.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally started painting it today(roof), wait for that to harden enough to cover it and hopefully paint the rest of the car early next week.
Then it's just a complete overhaul of the mechanic, new interior etc then mot.
Sound easy when saying it like that, looks very touch and go if it's going to be ready in time, given myself the drivers meeting as the deadline.  If not ready by then will have to think very hard as to pull out or not

Cheers Andy

Got home from work today and smelled petrol in the house !!!

Rushed out to the garage and found a large puddle of petrol under the Sprint and a steady drip (noted the strong smell of petrol in the garden on the way !). Turned out the fuel hose from the tank going into the pump had perished so I ripped it off and plugged it with a large bolt. Thank goodness I disconnect the battery when I'm not using the car. Of course, it didn't help that the back end is up on ramps while I finish off doing the axle seals (and it was 99 octane too, bugger !).

Good news,
                              well, for me anyway.  The suspension, gearbox, overdrive and chassis are all back together and talking to each other.

Took the 4A up to Harrogate last Friday and everything went very very well.

I wish I could have said the same for the weather.
Friday afternoon on the A1 was monsoon time - very bad indeed.
I was going to go to Scotland on the Sunday but that notion soon disappeared with the hurricane.

Still, I have a good working car for the RBRR all I need now are some matchsticks for the eye lids.

Roger

For a long time it had been my intention to do 2014 in my Spitfire, which is the one remaining "RBRR virgin" among my fleet. However, it's been a restoration project for 25 years and wrapping it up in the next 50 days is not even remotely close to feasible. So instead...

Tessa the Vitesse did the run in 2006. She's mostly working well at the moment except for three little things. The battery's flat. Probably because the alternator regulator plays up more than occasionally. And there's a gasket failed somewhere - I think it's the manifold one but she's prone to blowing head gaskets every 18 months... so not actually due yet.

After my 2008 experience (Spike the Toledo) I won't be fixing anything I don't need to, but some general maintenance is also due.

Well, I managed to sort out the wire locking of the taper pin by sliding the gearbox back and getting my hands inside the bellhousing.
Almost got the car back together before teatime but failed.
Tomorrow morning will have al together.

What next!!!!

Roger

Good news, Roger.

More work done on the Golf GTi rad change, all hoses fitted plus nice shiney alloy header tank.

Just got to make some valances and ducts and fit the electric Pacet fan.

Then I need to get her four wheel aligned, fit some new brake pads and then she will be ready for her 7th RBRR.

Sometimes think the best thing about the RBRR is that everyone's car gets a good service and going over for the event!!!

Car 67 - Stag - same colour as Cookies Dolly (Russet Brown), just a bit more grown up :) - fully serviced and MOT'd, front seats restuffed, front suspension polybushed (rear done last year), new wiper blades on order, Valvoline VR1 on order, almost ready to go

Well, the Sprint has had new axles seals and rear brake shoes. I took the opportunity to clean out the rear wheel bearings and re-pack them with Silkolene Pro RG2 grease too. Diff and gearbox now have fresh oil. I fixed the fuel leak and did an engine oil change today then went out for a quick test drive. Everything seemed to be OK so I brimmed the tank ready for a trip to Cornwall in the morning, a little 400 mile round trip proving run !

Changed the engine and gearbox oil today on the Herald,have to say the magnetic plugs on both were looking a bit furry with filings.Dont know if i should be worried as the engine and box have an unknown history.

Replaced the broken speedo angle drive as well.

Done a few thousand miles since its been back on the road last year,it runs and drives great.
Steve

3 isn't a crowd ;),
  at last the webers have been plumbed in,put on the rolling road and seem to be well set up..,time will show if more fettling is required. Good test tomorrow with a 150 mile run to the RetroRides fire up at Shelsey Walsh, should be fun,
   cheers,
      Laurence

Not where I wanted to be with just over a month remaining. Couldn't live with the weird fluctuating oil pressure any longer and pulled the engine out this afternoon. A new oil pump will be ordered tomorrow.

I was going to change the cam after Christmas anyway, so I may as well do that now while the engine's out. Annoying that I sheared a manifold stud too.  :(