• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9716 wrote:
For a long time it had been my intention to do 2014 in my Spitfire, which is the one remaining "RBRR virgin" among my fleet. However, it's been a restoration project for 25 years and wrapping it up in the next 50 days is not even remotely close to feasible. So instead...

Tessa the Vitesse did the run in 2006.

Oh dear. Tessa has a cracked block. I'd not really noticed it with all the other stuff going on, but she's always had a tendency to leak coolant. Back in 2006 it was just a very slow leak and 2000 miles was no problem. It's now bad enough that I'd be dubious covering more than 100 miles.

I've found a spare block but at this late stage I think a complete engine rebuild might be a bit too tight. So...

My GT6 has done RBRR twice, in 1994 and 2002, and is still running very sweetly on the engine rebuild I did in 1993, with the gearbox I fitted for RBRR 1994. As far as I can tell it just wants a good service.

The Moss is hopefully going for its MOT on saturday morning. Bidding on some seats on ebay, if I win them I'll try and collect on friday night and have them fitted over the weekend. Then just needs some use to make sure everything is fine.
Also working on the TR, just in case, that should be going for MOT on the 9th

This weekend I am hoping to replace the gearbox on the (was the backup but is now the main) car, as it sounds like a bag of spanners. It sounds like that a result of the clutch being changed by some gorillas in the past. They actually managed to break part off the bell housing pulling the gearbox back on. I suspect the wrecked the input shaft bearing.

I also painted the back door so it matches the rest of the car a bit more.

Colin

Well, the new rad job for the GT6 is going ok, just haven't got enough time!

Its in place with the fan mounted to a alloy frame.I am hoping to use only one rad fan.

Basically the installation is a copy of Roy's, but I have used GT6 bottom hoses as the bottom hoses as well as the top.

All ok, I think!

Hope to fire the car up tomorrow night and see how it performs.

Photos tomorrow, if all ok!

Nothing else to do for the RBRR other than a four wheel align, fit some spots and do some painting.

Hmm, where do I start; perhaps I should actually make a start on the car! jobs to do include brake pipes, wheel cylinders, wheels and tyres, exhaust(which I'm still trying to source), refit interior and gearbox cover, repair heater linkages, replace bushes in the gear selector extension, service and fluid change, pressure test rad, as I'm sure it's leaking, insurance, tax and find a co driver as mine have fallen by the wayside. Still, there's plenty of time isn't there??????

Yes, I made a start working on the car today! Jacked it up and took the wheels off... Then I ran out of time.

Still loads to do, fit new windscreen seal, refurbish seats (bits are on it's way from Parklane) balance propshaft, sort out various rattles and four wheel alignment.

I skipped the CV joint conversion for now, good old rotoflexes should be fine  8)

9716 wrote:

My experience of when this happened on my PI suggests you've probably got 200 miles from "a little clutch slip" to "no drive at all". Best fix it now ;)

I think you are right. Started on wheel bearings and found that someone in the past had decided that the solution to worn front hubs (that the outer bearing spins in at the rear of the hub), is to peen the hub to seat them. They were still able to spin in the hub! So plan B involves reusing a spare set of hubs that I have in stock.
I've also got to have the screws taken out of my right ankle that were put in last year. (See the picture). They have done the job of fusing that part of the joint but are now causing me pain. That's set for Monday 15th September. So one of my co drivers Al will be getting familiar with driving the Pi for Gaydon. I will be the one on crutches. But I will have 2wks and 4 days to heal before the start of the run!  Colin

thescrapman wrote:

We all admitted "sympathetic" defeat on Libby about 9 months ago... :-)

Is it Eric the Ashame???

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric is a 2.5PI on carbs.

MOT in an hour and a half, popped a headlight last night, trying to source a temp replacement as its will be having stag headlamps with relays before the RBRR!

thescrapman wrote:
This weekend I am hoping to replace the gearbox on the (was the backup but is now the main) car, as it sounds like a bag of spanners. It sounds like that a result of the clutch being changed by some gorillas in the past. They actually managed to break part off the bell housing pulling the gearbox back on. I suspect the wrecked the input shaft bearing.

I also painted the back door so it matches the rest of the car a bit more.

Colin

You've painted the back door????? Oh Colin, you've ruined its patina!  :)  

Have the kettle on, I'll see you at 8am so we can crack on with that gearbox change.  :)

Started the prep for the gearbox swap yesterday.

Exhaust almost fell off, have a 1/4 inch difference in pipe diameter did make the joints loose!

Only had 2 nuts holding the front pipe to the manifold, so I made it none within 5 seconds by shearing the others off. Bother.

So off had to come the manifolds.....

Had to saw some hose clips, and knackered a pipe.

Damaged to pipe out the back of the water pump. Bother again.

Found a leaky core plug so swapped that.

Couldn't drain block as despite half an hour of poking the crap has permanently bunged the drain.

Back for more pain this morning.

last minute dot com as usual   ;D

from recent GT6 experience, change the other 3 as well whilst manifold off, if one has gone the others wont be far behind even if they look good on the outside. will also help you with better access to de-crud.  If you want best access to drain plug area then remove the small core plug on the rear of the block too - but make sure you are able to get the new one in before you do (I had tunnel out on GT6, obviously not an option on big saloon - but if you have the gearbox out you should be ok).