• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after doing the Hexham 12 car last night I've got a couple more tasks to do on the Moss.
The exhaust is just too loud so will have to try and fit another silencer in, rev counter lights have gone off, throttle cable needs some adjusting or replacing. Also have to look at the front brakes again as it started to pull to the right about half way through the event. Then an oil change to do.

Ok I'm all ready (I think). Fitted an up rated alternator so as to give me a spare. Cleaned out float bowls and inline filter then changed all my rubber petrol hose to R9 .  Then It would not start  (unhappy) found the electric fuel pump had blown a fuse ?????? changed it and all OK.
Although I'm carrying a spare mechanical pump I have just ordered a spare electric one to be double sure.

Next and final test run will be to Duxford this Sunday. If any other RBRR entrants will be there Im in the red spitty 1500 with the chrome overriders so say hello.

Not looking too bad here after a good run to Gaydon and back- friendly local MOT man offered to recheck the tracking & headlight adjustment after everything had settled (was MOT'd after having all the front suspension replaced) so we'll take him up on that in the week. It's going to get cleaned and stickered up on Sunday all being well. Engine oil change and gearbox and diff level check (both were changed recently) pencilled in for after work tomorrow, hopefully finish wiring the fogs & fit some uprated bulbs to the inner (full beam) lamps at the same time.

Main bugbear is the exhaust, about the only non standard part on the car & not only is it a bit louder than we'd like (and asked for), it still bounces off the bottom of the car every time you hit a bump, and the UK's roads ain't short of bumps... booked in to the exhaust place Saturday and we ain't leaving until it's sorted this time!

(1) Fly back to the UK from Doha tomorrow night
(2) Get the 7 out and drive over to Duxford for the Triumph day
(3) Collect road book and stickers from Tim H
(4) Enjoy the rally

Between the important RBRR things I will have to repair my gutters, arrange my cataract operation and maybe buy a house so will be a nice relaxing break 12 days

Cheers

Howard

DollyRoo has been returned to her owner - chain left on the drive, house value maintained. If anyone near Stansted finds they can't get beer in their local shops for a while you'll know why. It's now up to that bloke from Hove who likes to do that weird exercise thing to do some more jobs and we'll be ready. :)

Craig_Bennett wrote:
Well it looks like the decision has been made!

You know there's only one drive-through stop on the run, right? And even with that one you'll have to slow down a little. Pack an anchor and a hefty length of rope in your spares box?

cliftyhanger wrote:
Hmm, better pay a trip to sainsburys, see what beer is on offer. Plus use the discount card.....
My list of jobs is up to 2 envelope backs now. And I haven't seen the car properly :o

Ooo, got me curious now. Only "essentials" I can remember are the mouse hole, the velocity indicator and to check to make sure its incontinence isn't going to cause any unwanted chaffing?
Are you really going to fit pink seat covers?  ;D

Although as usual we have left things late we are ahead of ourselves from previous RBRR's after a mad 3-4 weeks spent on getting the weighbridge bound rolling shell of a toledo put back together, now with tax and MOT and a good run down to the drivers meet we now have just a few things to do  and might even get some chill out time before setting off on friday.
Today's list consists of changing the rear springs and shockers, sort out both door locks and start to get together the spares we are taking.
Booked in for tracking on monday.

steve
team kinky toledo 68

I started on the last few jobs yesterday morning by re-torqueing the head. That went well until re-fitting the cam cover and one of the bolts partially stripped. Thankfully there was still enough left to tighten it but I'm investigating a replacement with a slightly bigger thread, just in case. Next was just a general check over before starting on a light tune-up. I hadn't got far before I noticed that lots of tiny splits and cracks had appeared on the two top radiator hoses. These are modern, new manufactured Kevlar reinforced hoses that I fitted in 2007. I had heard of problems with these before so I've kept an eye on them but this has come on in the last couple of months only. So, I did the only reasonable thing. I ordered new parts online and went off to a beer festival for the afternoon !  ;D

On with the rest of the jobs today ....