Here's a before and after shot of this weekends progress, the engine has been two years in the making, but finally it's in and even better than that it runs. Still got a lot to do as it's not yet got its radiator, alternator, power steering pump, prop shaft and exhaust. But things are progressing nicely, roll on October.
Floyd.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made good progress this evening, fitting the exhaust  is my new least favorite job and had a bit of issue with the block drain plug shearing off, access wasn't great but managed to remove the bit left in the block with a screw driver bit in an impact driver and a long socket extension, couldn't believe it worked and only tried it out of desperation!!!
Awaiting my next parts delivery and am hopeful I'll be in it for the essex meet.
Cheers,
Floyd.

Gertie has been a bit dormant since the HCR, in fact I think she's ony been out once for the last Essex meet.  :(

The ony issue I do need to resolve is the annoying vibration that I've had for sometime once you get over a 'certain speed'  :o

At least I've identified it to the offside rear now as when I was asleep on the HCR I could feel it through the seat while laying down on that side and trying to sleep.  

Oh yes, and she's off to Cambidgeshire at the end of the month to have her dented nose pulled out.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Phew that was lucky ! I took the Sprint for its MOT today and it passed fine but the rear brakes were only just acceptable (one side down on efficiency). Not too bad I thought as I haven't used it much recently, probably just needs using. Driving home I flicked the car through a left-hander, drove up the road another 100m or so then braked for a right turn and whoa ! Something's not right at all. Took it steady for the rest of the mile or so home. Back in the garage and I discovered that the half-shaft oil seal had failed and dumped EP90 all over the shoes on the drivers side. Parts ordered and spanners at the ready. I think I'll do both sides using the gearbox nose oil seal mod (Pt No. 141756 if you're interested).

I knew I had an issue with wheel alignment on the flying log as the tyres were wearing unevenly and I've only done 2K miles since buying it.

Mikey B did point out at the CT new years eve dinner that the car seemed to have a lot of negative camber on the front so I thought I'd end upo having to get hold of extra adjustment shims.

Anyway I had the car on a 4 wheel laser alignment checker today. The front tracking was miles out, 10 1/2 degrees a side! I know the previous owner had done the track rod ends and he obviously hadn't had the alignment checked afterwards.

The good news is that once the tracking was adjusted it also reduced the negative camber and it's now slightly negative and within 1/2 degree of tolerance which I can live with.

So another job done which may even mean we get around the RBRR without a front tyre change part way!

Umm, I have rebuilt the GT6's front supension recently, this involved changing the turrets for some powder coated ones I have, fitting powder coated top and bottom wishbones that have been red polybushed and fitting new 440lb front springs to the Koni dampers. Also changed the steering column UJ.

This has resulted in the steering feeling very dead and loosing its self centre'ing and basically making the car feel dead up front. Also, I get a small vibration through the steering, this was not there before.  So I think I need to change the castor angle and then get the car re-aligned.

Bit brassed off as the car handled and drove so well on its TT harder rubber bushed wishbones, and it steered so well.

I have bought a recon steering rack that will be fitted and will dial in some more castor, it needs to turn in better and steer more faithfully!

Also, must improve the heat insulation, seems worse than ever these days.

Annoying all this as otherwise the car is better than ever, but I think I will end up using the Saloon for the RBRR.

I have finally finish welding it now has new front floors/outriggers, sills,door skins,rear arches and various other repair totalling 120 hours. Now have to remove about 6 layer of old paint to respray it,
Once painted it will just leave complete interior refresh with new carpets,doorcards mgf front sets and headlinning and then start on the mechanic`s with everything needing doing as been off road for 5 years.
The RBRR will be a good shake down for it as doing a tour of Europe two weeks later

Cheers Andy

The Moss is due its MOT, it should pass that no problem  :P then need to sort some more suitable seats. The tyres on it are ok but old so going to treat it to a set of new tyres.

As storage/space is limited I'll be sorting some way of attaching a wicker picnic style hamper to the rear.

Other than giving it a service I don't think it needs anything else other than getting used.

willows40 wrote:
I have finally finish welding it now has new front floors/outriggers, sills,door skins,rear arches and various other repair totalling 120 hours

Blimey, you did your car much quicker than mine.. :-)

In the past month, I have replaced the rear brake cylinders.

just got everything else to do now... :-(

willows40 wrote:
Colin

Something to do with me doing about 4 different cars while yours was here, Didn`t want to do yours to quickly as had to make sure you would still be putting it together at the start,  ;D

Much to the disgust of my co-driver, the backup car made it to LeMans, so I do have an alternative.

:-)

Subsequent to my flippant comment in post 108 above I have had disaster after disaster.

Last Tuesday (8th July) my nearside forward lower wishbone retaining stud snapped. This then involved a complete rebuild of both sides.
New twin stud brackets all round, new vertical links left and right, new top ball joints, new TRack rod ends.

Yesterday my speedo stopped working. It appears that the square end on the cable is worn and on the short side. New cable looks better.
Also the overdrive stopped overdriving. It looks like a rebuild is on the cards.
Whilst diagnosing the OD I found that the gearbox sounded like a bag of spanners. It looks like a rebuild is on the cards.

how many days to the off?

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,
             great fun this car lark. Having taken the gearbox and OD out for some theraputic love and kisses I found that the breast plate on the chassis had a lump in it.
Having just touched it with an angle grinder the lump has gone - I now have a hole.
Corrosion between the chassis and breast. Caught it in time to save any extensive chassis repairs. New plate to be fitted on Monday.

what a larf..

Roger

You went in with your eyes open; you know what happens when you get to fixin' things.

As a favor once I volunteered to replace the light fixture in the ticket booth of a 1927 movie theatre.  When I unscrewed it & woggled it a little to break it free from the paint, the entire plaster ceiling of the ticket booth came down.  I now know how to make a plaster ceiling -  lath, rough coat, skim coat, paint.  I also know what plaster tastes like.