• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made some progress today! My Pi has not been used for ages due to work and family commitments. It is not even run in from the engine rebuild yet!! Got some jobs to do and get MOT which is now booked for Monday! Several weeks ago though I  bought a cheap Stag with 3.5 V8 and Hotwire Efi. This has complicated the issue as has been used recently with plenty of recent work and may be a better bet for RBRR. However gearchange on the LT77 box was terrible. Much messing and investigation of the badly modified linkage later and now vastly improved!! Not perfect but you can get the gears now!! Thanks to David Walker for help and parts donation this afternoon. Will try it out to Gaydon tomorrow and see how we get on!! Other minor detail is my co-driver (daughter) is not well enough to do the run so got to cajole another victim into the hot seat!! Happy days!!

More progress today!! Managed to find a new co-driver at the Drivers Meeting so all good. Welcome to Dave Kent and I hope you don't live to regret it! Jury still out on which car to use but we did find a rather alarming and potentially disastrous fault with the Stag today. Just before purchase PO had all the brakes done. New discs, calipers and master cylinder. It had puzzled me why the brake pedal sat well above the clutch pedal. You had to consciously move foot up onto brake pedal. This was on the 'to do' list. I presumed something was set wrong or adjustable etc. However in the car park after the meeting while people were looking round the car David Walker leapt in and investigated under the dash. That was a very wise move as it turned out!! Looking at the brake pedal the clevis pin and split pin were fine but the clevis pin wasn't attached to the pushrod end!! Whoever fitted it back together missed the pushrod with the clevis pin and it was just wedged against the brake pedal. Must have been like this for a while and I have done about 150 miles in the car!! Bearing in mind that I had got stuck in traffic and then subsequently been 'making progress' on the M40 this was a rather worrying discovery!!! Quickly sorted though and now brake pedal sits at the right height!!! All in all a good day!!

Yes that is the worry as to any other bodges on the car!! We had virtually decided yesterday to use the Stag and see how far we could get with the roof down!! Having just bought the Stag and not knowing the history (pile of garage receipts though) I am now thinking maybe the Pi is a safer bet. Although not used for a while I do know the car and work done as have owned it for over 7 years. Decisions! Decisions!

timbancroft61 wrote:
Alex,

We are used to that though!!

Spittie looks good though, even with those stripes!

I guess I asked for that......
Seems to have been a better drivers meet for me this year....few little jobs to do but nothing like last time.
Indicator relay, oil levels, fit stickers......

Craig_Bennett wrote:
Yes that is the worry as to any other bodges on the car!! We had virtually decided yesterday to use the Stag and see how far we could get with the roof down!! Having just bought the Stag and not knowing the history (pile of garage receipts though) I am now thinking maybe the Pi is a safer bet. Although not used for a while I do know the car and work done as have owned it for over 7 years. Decisions! Decisions!

Pi all the way Craig, but I suppose I am biased. You still have a week or so to run that engine in. Pop up to ours one evening with chatters and bradders, thats just over 200miles done on the engine. Hope the MOT went well btw.

Colin

thescrapman wrote:
Have discovered yesterday that my attempts to fix the violent steering between 50 and 60 have failed (so far!) but the good news is that the newly fitted OD now means we can cruise at 65 rather than 55, by which time the steering is totally shake free.

Just need to ensure we never slow below 65..... :-)

My quest to find teh cause is not going well....

I found teh OSF wheel was not centering properly, so was going up and down about 3 mm.

Excellent i thought, so I swapped on a spare Stag Alloy. Now not going up and down.

Went for a test drive, wobble much reduced. Great. Now to prove it.

Put the original back on

Still much reduced, so as suspected, the weight distribution in the car does have an effect. Bother.

On way back as I pulled into the driveway, the bloody thing broke down.

Had to push it all the way up the drive.

To say I am unimpressed is a understatement.

Stank of petrol, so I think the float chambers are flooding.

Guess what tomorrows job is........

I did also detect a little bit of play in the inner joint on steering rack, so I will investigate that. I have a known good rack lined up in case as well....

Cheers

Colin

The Pink fluffy seats are to attract girls.  The sub Woofer is so everyone on the run no matter how far away can enjoy my Banjo Music!

Hover, due to the fact one past co-driver (Ash) aimed for all the sheep dip he could find.

Hay, Peter lives in Luton, Chain is so the car will be their in the morning.  

I have to say this.  One of the best things about this club is the FACT, all will help and pitch in.  The many members and co-drivers who take the time to pitch in and help get the cars ready and work as a team.  I will be forever greatfull for all who have helped keep my car going since I am not their to do it myself.  

Well it looks like the decision has been made! Going to have to be the Stag. More by default though really as Pi needs some welding which I am going to struggle to get done in time now!! The sills had been done a few years back. My now ex stepson did some welding on it in recent times and his repair on the rear inner wheel arches fell off when MOT man poked around. He had also welded the offside sill so that is worrying!! Offside rear subframe where floor joins inner sill  area is crusty now and really needs doing. Other than that was fine!! Need to find a new competent welder and get the car done properly!! So going to collect Pi tomorrow and get the Stag on his ramp to give it the once over and see if any other horrors are lurking!! Have since discovered the Stag heater is not working so might be prudent to check that out!!