Fibreglass bonnet

Rubce

Hi All

Do any of you have experience of these fibreglass bonnet assemblies sold by Moss?

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=18550

At £256 I am thinking it might be worthwhile purchasing one instead of spending time repairing our existing metal one. A new metal one is way beyond my budget! How well does paint adhere to fibreglass?

Regards

Bruce

It is important to understand the amount of effort required to  get most fibreglass bonnets looking half decent too. They are not a straightforward fit, usually requiring all fittings (eg the bonnet cone panels, top grille section etc) to be transferred from a steel one. No holes are precut (not a huge issue, but fibreglass eats jigsaw blades very very quickly) but the worst part is the rear wing edges are usually curved like a banana and take a lot of faffing and glassing to get correct. Not impossible, but catches many people out.

Oh, and I had one (bought secondhand but unfitted, no holes cut etc) which was about an inch shorter and narrower than the steel one!! Got it sorted in the end.....

Bruce, which part of your bonnet is shot?

There is a guy on eBay selling wings and inner arches he's cut from various scrap bonnets...

I bought a set for £50 and have just unpicked the welds and the panels are good to go again.

I'd stick with metal all the way...unless your building something intended to be light weight.

Hi

Thanks for all your responses to-date.

The specific areas of concern on the existing bonnet are as follows:-

a) various holes in the NS wing. To replace the entire wing or patch?
b) the area at the NS rear edge near where the bonnet buffer is located (see photo below). Awkward to access the rear of this area but to the buffer mount, plus has a folded edge.
c) rust in the seams where both wings meet the main bonnet. How the heck do I eliminate it? I don't want it reappearing along the seam shortly after I have resprayed the car!

Regards

Bruce

Hi All

I think I will have a go at repairing the existing metal one first as I don't believe I have anything to loose. I think I will look at cutting off the buffer mount, patching the bonnet behind it and then fit a new mount.

If I fail, the worst that can happen is that I have to purchase another second hand metal one.

Regards

Bruce

I very nearly bought a Honeybourne one in August but instead paid Chic Doig £300 for a decent steel one - so competitive with HB when you take their shipping into acccount

After evening and weekend work including some amateur cellulose spraying I ended up with this.

Pic taken Saturday at the RBRR stop.

Took enough work as it was to get it looking good - it had had new wings fitted by a PO which needed a bit of adjustment.

Sounds like giving the FG one a miss was a good move.

Hi

Has anybody got any experience of using one of these repair panels on their GT6 bonnet?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-818626

As shown in the photo I have posted previously on this thread the area around the buffer mount has corroded. I am thinking I can cut off the existing mount, let in a new section into the bonnet top and then fit this repair panel on, thereby giving me a new mount and the edge folding.

Cheers

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...