Well, a far more successful RBRR than the 2010 event.

8% retirement, as follows:

Car 4: Herald: Driveshaft
Car 5. Herald: Driveshaft
Car 23. Vincent Hurricane: Crashed
Car 35. TR3A: ?
Car 68. Vitesse: Driveshaft
Car 72. Dolomite: Water Pump
Car 82. Herald: ?
Car 88. Spitfire: Rear wheel bearing

Sorry to all the crews in the above cars, we do hope that all of you got back home ok. Massive commiserations to Steve Povey as his car is the only one that suffered from some damage due to part failure.

Amazing that only one engine part failure, a difficult repair on a slant 4 engine otherwise that could have been up and running.

As ever, not one Acclaim retired. What more can one say!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill I believe this has been a very low percentage of DNF....actually Tim says that in his initial post.

The standard of cars was very good this year but I think the weather made a huge difference as water obviously plays a big part in failures on our cars.

Alex wrote:
How about "should try doing the event in a real Triumph"?   ;)

Yeah yeah yeah.

After 2300 miles in the hateful little piece of crap, I can honestly say..... never again.

The choice was a cheap Acclaim or not compete........ next time I think I'll not compete.

It will be on ebay tonight.............. trust me.

AlanChatterton wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah.

After 2300 miles in the hateful little piece of crap, I can honestly say..... never again.

The choice was a cheap Acclaim or not compete........ next time I think I'll not compete.

Tonight I'll upload video evidence of your 'love' for that little Acclaim...  ;D

AlanChatterton wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah.

I sense someone who deep down really loved his little Japanese car and teh way it got him round without any issues what-so-ever, and is trying to cover it up so he can look like a real "TriumphMan"

Trust me it;s all bluster from Mr Polisher.

Or perhaps thats teh real reason, when he polished it it still looked as good as before and he ended up unfulfilled.

:-)

4247 wrote:

Tonight I'll upload video evidence of your 'love' for that little Acclaim...  ;D

ooooooo yes please....... perhaps that will show the doubters.

No love at all.......... yes it got round with no issues, but that's not the point. Would rather have had a repeat of 2012 with a major failure at every stop than the reliable boringness surrounded by a sea of RATTLING plastic!

Jason wrote:

Probably due to overloading onto old components that are quite hard to check for fatigue?

Quite a few cars looked overloaded to us. Some of the big saloons in particular were well down at the back. Still, I guess the negtive camber would have helped with cornering.  :)

AlanChatterton wrote:

No love at all.......... yes it got round with no issues, but that's not the point. Would rather have had a repeat of 2012 with a major failure at every stop than the reliable boringness surrounded by a sea of RATTLING plastic!

What a change. You were so in love with that car at the start as well! ;D

The TR6 exhaust is an interesting design, no matter how much you clatter it, it can't fall off as it goes through the chassis and I know, we tried!
Of course the issue now is that the exhaust is covered in a fine spray of oil, as is everything under the car! That means you can push the parts of the exhaust together and clamp them but they are so well lubricated that they will eventually part company at the earliest opportunity! That means every time you pass over a speed bump, road bump or discarded fag packet!!
So, to answer the question, yes it's still on and mostly functions but it is the first thing I am going to get replaced.

AlanChatterton wrote:

Where there's an Acclaim, there's shame!

Jason wrote:

So, to answer the question, yes it's still on and mostly functions but it is the first thing I am going to get replaced.

Jason

I can recommend the (Phoenix?) single pipe system like what Mr Helm uses. We have never come close to removing it even when landing after getting a bit of air under the tyres.

Sounds good as well.. :-)

Cheers

Colin