Who's got what to do for 2010?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

willows40 wrote:
got to the drivers meeting and back ok need to have a play with the timing and take out a bank loan for the amount of petrol it uses. Apart from that just a couple of little jobs need doing like get some sort of heater sorted,headlining back in and sort oil pressure out

cheers andy

Do we have a challenger here for The Tom Keys award for Automotive thirst???

Work out what it is doing, 18mpg?? (that is what Tom got, so you have a target)

Work out what a recon metering unit will cost.

Work out what you will then get, 30mpg?

Work out how much you will save... :-)

Then work out what you can sell the recon metering unit afterwards for (£100 less than you paid for it now it has 2000 miles on it??)

Then remember you are back to 18mpg... :-(

Go and buy a set of HS6's... :-)

mpbarrett wrote:

thanks roy
it was a second hand one from ebay (3.63) wont buy another secondhand one would prefer to throw more money at the car and get a recon one (that I hope will last..), I beginning to think or understand why the factory never made a 2.5L gt6. I dont think the transmisssion is up to the torque from the engine!
Might be over reacting as I am again  really pi**ed off with the car! Every time I think the car is sorted something else breaks!
time to walk away and have a beer!

Mike and Libby

New diff ordered should be here tomommor. Tonight will take the old one out, should be ok as it was only put a month ago so the bolts should not have rusted yet!
11 days... plenty of time....

cheers
Mike and Libby.

Made it to the Drivers meeting and back OK in the Spitfire, no real issues other than losing the tickover on the way home, - car ran well but incredibly noisy with the hood up - not used to this ;)

Over the whole trip 280 miles door to door it did 42mpg so I won't touch the carbs now!

Fitted some cheapo PC speakers in the front this morning to help drown out the rattles etc!

Drained the oil and refilled with nice expensive VR1, topped up gearbox, checked water, points etc - now ready to go, just needs a vacuum to get rid of the 10CR crisp and sausage roll crumbs ;D

Tried the Stickers on the car - see my other message.

Must stop tinkering

thescrapman wrote:

Do we have a challenger here for The Tom Keys award for Automotive thirst???

Work out what it is doing, 18mpg?? (that is what Tom got, so you have a target)

Work out what a recon metering unit will cost.

Work out what you will then get, 30mpg?

Work out how much you will save... :-)

Then work out what you can sell the recon metering unit afterwards for (£100 less than you paid for it now it has 2000 miles on it??)

Then remember you are back to 18mpg... :-(

Go and buy a set of HS6's... :-)

colin
i know nothing about pi.
it was running very retarded all the way there and some of the way back and then got fed up with not being able to pull away from roundabouts etc so pulled over and advanced the timing which made a great improvement, Think we did about 320 miles and used £100 of petrol so i think 18mpg would be nice,
What is the metering unit? and where is it? What is the cost of one?
If i put it on hs6 i might as well keep the `s`  Which is in alot better condition.

cheers andy

mpbarrett wrote:

New diff ordered should be here tomommor. Tonight will take the old one out, should be ok as it was only put a month ago so the bolts should not have rusted yet!
11 days... plenty of time....

cheers
Mike and Libby.

Diff out and in the garage. All ready for the new one tomorrow! Easy when you have done it before.

cheers
mike

Andy.

Few things to check first. The metering unit is the fuel metering unit, its next to the dizzy with all the pipes coming off it that feed the injectors.

Make sure the timing and point gap are right.

Make sure the valve clearances are right, if either of these are off, you get low vacuum and then high fuel consumption.

On the side of the metering unit you will see a black rectangle with the word "lucas" on it. 4 screws hold it on, remove and take off the plastic cover.

Inside you will see a roller on the end of a cam. Put some feeler gauges between this roller and the left hand side of it. this should be 57 thou EXACTLY. check and see what this is before you think about buying a new metering unit. Its fairly simple to check.

Do this and then let us know what the measurement is.

willows40 wrote:

colin
i know nothing about pi.
it was running very retarded all the way there and some of the way back and then got fed up with not being able to pull away from roundabouts etc so pulled over and advanced the timing which made a great improvement, Think we did about 320 miles and used £100 of petrol so i think 18mpg would be nice,
What is the metering unit? and where is it? What is the cost of one?
If i put it on hs6 i might as well keep the `s`  Which is in alot better condition.

cheers andy

Well, We have a contender to take Toms' crown.

16.4mpg!

Andy.

Once you have done teh basic checks that Alan suggested, also check the spray pattern into a JamJar. Dribbly is not good obviously!

The valve clearance is critical as Alan says, I was amazed the difference when I got mine right.

You don't want the tappety rattle that is "OK" on a carb car. Nice and quiet is good!

Then you ring Malcolm at Prestige.

At 16.4mpg you will use more fuel than the cost of a recon metering unit. And a set of recon injectors. (Talk Very nicely to Mr Chinn about injector seals for a budget recon)

Cheers

Colin

i took the cover off and as far as i can tell the gap is correct, Did do the tappets a couple of months ago but only started using it last week will check them again tomorrow, Also will check timing when i go over to ditchingham tomorrow, Don`t have a clue how pi systems work but would think i should get more mpg than i am when i get nearly 30mpg out of the 2500S auto on a run, What should i be getting in a pi auto?

cheers andy

willows40 wrote:
What should i be getting in a pi auto?

About 14.6mpg it would appear.

PI systems are very simple in their operation if it is explained by the right person!

Jason uploaded a set of fault finding cards, they are useful as well.

I would suspect lack of maintenance, old seals etc may be contributing to the thirst.

I get 28-30mpg from a MOD PI, best is 36 on a run to Holland. Last RBRR was 26-28 being thrashed by my "mates"

Time for a MOD box and sod the pain???

:-/

Colin

Hi All,

It's the owner of the famous thirsty PI Auto !

We got 16.4mpg, yes.  

The car is well set up, timings, mixture, and all butterflies sychronized.

3 of us did the event, and we drove the car very hard, I guess harder than most.  All service  items are also new.  I spoke to the previous owner, Andy Roberts on Sundy, who thinks the metering unit could probably do with being replaced, so something to look at in the future.

On the 10CR last year, we had a mis fire, which was down to a cracked dizzy cap, and we managed 13.6mpg on one tankful !

Great car though, drives superbly.

Cheers
Tom

Enjoyed the run to Gaydon in both big Triumphs - drove up in the 2000TC and back in the Mk2 Pi!!  However, took the Pi up the M5 this evening, and found that at 71 mph (or thereabouts  :X) there's a very nasty vibration sets up in the drivetrain.  This persists when the clutch is depressed - so Chris the co-driver, friend, and mechanic says it's time to change the propshaft.  Yet another "little" job on the list then..... Oh, and to fix the music side of things, I've "bought" a Kenwood CD player off some plank in Gloucester via eBay, who is now playing hard to get with me going to fetch it - he obviously doesn't understand that I need it in my hand so that I can fit it at the weekend......

MOT failed yesterday - nothing major just a bulb and a tiny bit of welding to the rear of the underside of the sill.

Redone on Monday.

Checked fluids - all ok.

Resigning that EFI won't be on it but otherwise seems to be running fine - just inishing touches to do

Archived