Who's got what to do for 2010?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went out for a test drive today after fitting my newly balanced propshaft.  :) Still a couple of things I'm not happy about though.  :(

Still having issues with the overdrive cutting in & out when it wants to. (Either the loom or the switch I think.)

And the gearbox is still a bit 'notchy' when the car is warm. (seems fine when it's cold) The slave cylinder was new last year, so I'm guessing either the master cylinder or the clutch itself?

We're bringing it to the drivers meeting next week, so I'll see how it behaves then.  :-/

I think I need a new steering rack for the GT6, really stiff to turn and a bit of slack in one of the track rods, anyone know which is the best replacement, do some of you use Spitfire racks? and who's best to get it from? I can't find a GT6 one on the Canleys site and Rimmers charge loads for the part exchange.
Still not located a Solenoid blanking screw, so I may well have to use the Stag for the drivers meet and hopefully get one before the event.
Floyd

Little Blue mk3 GT6.

changed diff, new shocks and bushes everywhere. New rear tyres. Done a couple of runs down to bromley (160mile round trip) and used her to go to work for the last 2 weeks. Diff is a bit noisy (was secondhand) but think will be ok, everything else seems ok! Just need to change the oil, change leads and dist cap and fit new plugs and check all the bolts on the front suspension. Front nearside is a bit bouncy but think I have not adjusted the shock correctly....Have replacement speedo to go in (to suit new diff) but not sure if there will time for that so will just use GPS.

Mike and Libby.

Alex wrote:
Good luck Paul....see the spitfire at the drivers meeting?

I can't actually attend the drivers meeting as it's my niece's 21st Birthday on that Sunday. Instead I will be at the North London meet on Monday the day after and hopefully in my Spitfire.  I've arranged to pick up the drivers pack from Tim there.

Well I've made good progress today. I was hoping to have her running today, but stubborn studs and a malfunctioning septic tank delayed progress.

I managed to get two of the studs out with double nuts but one was not moving so ended up buying a stud extractor and it worked a dream.

So today I got the following done.

Fitted exhaust manifold and inlet manifold studs into head
Fitted exhaust manifold inlet manifold and carbs and air filter.
Fitted water pump & housing and connect to heater system
Replaced all hoses and fitted radiator
Fitted new light weight alternator and fan belt
Fitted rocker gear

The only thing left to do before she can run again

Adjust valve/rocker clearances
Put rocker cover on
Connect leads

Hopefully and fingers crossed she'll start!

I've pulled the box out and stripped the o/d, found lots more bits of thrust washer but everything otherwise looks OK.. Haven't stripped the box yet but taken the lid off and it looks like  there's a lot of end float in the layshaft, so I reckon it's a layshaft thrust washer that's failed. No more time to work on it until Tuesday. Question is will it have damaged the laygear or the casing?

K

Finished the refit of the interior on Saturday,after open sill surgery.
Drove the estate to Oxford and back yesterday as a little shake down and touch wood I had no problems. Almost 320 miles at 70-80mph, and still a little petrol left from the full tank. ;)
Did notice the passenger door mirror needs a little adjustment as a little too far out.  8)

Just an oil and filter change and general look over to do, reset back brake adjusters and fit some relayed feeds on headlights, should make a difference even with sealed beams.

Oh and refit the rear seatbelts.

Colin.

Quote:
and replace rear hatch seal.

b.t.w. looks like you've rather idle since 2008

Rear hatch seal replaced nearly 2 years ago, Beans.

No more wet bums for me!

Just tinkered with the car as it's not used much.

It'll be up for sale after the RBRR if you fancy a little less wedge in your life!  :P

Jim.

Stripped the gearbox and the thrust washers are fine. I've found the problem now, it's the thrust washer that should be between the sun gear and the planet carrier which is no more. Planet carrier doesn't look too scored, it looks like the teeth of the sun gear have contacted the carrier but not enough to cause appreciable wear, so I may get away with putting another one in.
Will order some bits tomorrow and maybe get it all back together for the drivers' meeting.

Keith

Got the new head on and finally got the car back together again at 11:10pm tonight, but she wouldn't start!
Argggghhh! :'(
After a quick check it seems no spark at plugs, so will have to investigate further but not tonight as I don't want to annoy the neighbours!

engine back together and working...... ish. Misfireing like a b*****d but I think its just the injectors that need a good thwack! Now got throttle return springs on so it idles below 1000rpm now. Air filter assembly back on, new hoses on, filled with antifreeze, both front wheel bearings changed (what a sod of a job!!) and now sitting on all 4 wheels again!

So, when its daytime (!!) run it up, rev the nads off it and get the injectors to kick in, re-torque down the head, reset tappets, oil and filter change, top up gearbox and diff, reset handbrake and then its booked for an MOT on Monday evening.

Good clean and a polish ( ;)) and we're on!!

(won't be in the PI for the drivers meeting though..... boo!!

triumphman wrote:
Ah, Janey, I've "just" GOT to fix that windscreen leak... and fit the parcel shelves and an extra 12v feed for the electronic goodies we're taking.

I need to get my finger out - that was 4 days ago and I still haven't made any progress! I hope it doesn't rain too much this weekend. And now the wiper strip for the NSF door galss has come adrift, which means taking the door apart! Grrrrrr

Archived