Who's got what to do for 2010?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's looking like a distinct possibility that team 30 may have to use my car as it's touchj and go whether Mark's will be ready. Still the car is used to being a late minute substitute after Jason broke his crank on the way to the RBRR in 2006 and we used mine at the last moment.

It shouldn't need too much doing to it, I've spent tonight working on the cooling system, Bodders and I froze our nuts off going past Aviemore last time as the heater didn't work. Traced the problem to a blocked waterway in the inlet manifold, cleaned out with a bit of wire and flushed the system through with clean water tonight and heater is now working a treat. I'm gonna give it another flush with Barsflush  though tomorrow night just to really clean it out.

Need to fix the passenger door handle as it won't open from outside coz the plastic key shaped link within the door handle assembly has snapped. New link on order.

Then a quick oil and filter change, top up fluids and all over check and she'll be ready to go. Suspension and brakes have all been attended to over the last year, diff was changed and gearbox/overdrive oil changed and o/d filter cleaned so it's in pretty good order....

MURPHIT_RITESPIF wrote:
Has anybody got a spare Dolomite Brake shoe return spring (upper) that they could bring along to the drivers meeting in return for beer tokens? ;)

Dave car 75

dave
would think i have one laying about but would need to see it to match it, If no one else can help you out bring it round one night.

cheers  andy

I was doing the Barsflush bit tonight on the GT6 and I actually bothered to read the instructions which said to put the mix of barsleak and warm water in the cooling system and use the car "normally" from 2 to 48 hours. Do you think the RBRR counts as using the car normally, in which case I could have waited and just put it in on 1st October and driven it normally for a mere 2,000 miles in 48 hours :-)

Well I've got all the bits to rebuild the o/d, just need to get all back together now.
Apparently there are two ways to replace the planet carrier to sun gear thrust washer, a bodgy way and scary way!
The problem is that the washer fouls on the planet gears so it won't drop straight in.
The bodgy way is to 'relieve' the washer slightly so it goes past.
The scary way is to remove one planet gear. It's scary because the planet gear shaft is held in by a mills pin which driven in 'blind' with no way to drive it out again. The technique for removing it is to place the carrier in a vice and drift the shaft out, shearing the old mills pin.
Has anyone had any experience of either of these?

Keith

Well, I went for the 'scary' method above and the man from o/d spares was right, the job went like dream and the planet carrier is now assembled with its new thrust washer.
That's the good news, now the bad news. After I'd assembled the gearbox I discovered that the clutch fork locking pin was broken and in my haste to strip things down I hadn't noticed. So that means another Rimmer bros order and has probably scuppered my chances of getting to the Drivers' Meet.

Keith

Changed the wheels on the PI to TR6 steel rims, what a differance that has made!!!!, thought the minilite where crappy ??) also me and John changed the seat to Vauxhall leather seats with head rests, really nice and comfy :) with no modification to the floors, so if later  the original seats need to go back in ;D

David.

Busy day.

Torqued the head down again, reset the tappets.

Changed the oil and filter

Greased all the u/j's and the rack.

Set the handbrake

Wired in the fogs

Re-wired in the spots with an isolator switch

Topped up gearbox

Topped up diff

Fitted stereo

Fitted rear speakers

checked rear hubs

Blew up tyres

Serviced the ignition system

then spent 5 hours trying to get the PI system to run properly.............Eventually traced it all to mis-aligned throttle bodies (I ALWAYS forget that bit!) and lack of point gap. Running much better now, not quite right but I think it just needs a blast and some minor tweaking.

MOT on Monday.................... wish me luck!

Well yesterday I was really down. I had fitted the new head and got the car to start but she was running so rough  I really thought  that something else was still seriously wrong and that I wouldn't get her fixed before the RBRR.

Anyhow, with the help and advice from this forum I've managed to resolve the issues with the car today and she is starting to run sweet!

I'm so happy  :) :)!

Thanks to everybody on this forum who helped.

Things left to do now are:

Clean Car

Fit Hardtop

Fit relays to headlights

Fit Engine valence

Fit grommets in engine bay holes so feet don't get wet when it rains!
and if  I have time
Fix Stereo

Bugger.... I knew it was all going too well.

went to the drivers meeting car running nicely, but diff a bit noisy. On the way back diff noise got worse and worse until it suddenly started to hum and vibrate in fact making the whole rear of the car vibrate. Also nasty  "clong" noises on take up and over run... Drove it back at 45 from Northampton to cambridge with the noise getting worse, its aint going to do the RBRR like this.

So can I get another diff this week or is it time to service and polish the Herald again?  :(((

Mike and Libby.

few on the Bay mike ......
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/triumph-3-89-diff-/370333318186?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item563995fc2a

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-Spitfire-MK-IV-3-89-1-differential-diff-/160480407593?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255d60b029

Hope you get it sorted  :)

Couple of hundred miles round trip to the drivers meet today and really wrung the Spitfires neck all the way. Seems OK so far, runs really well, no leaks or odd noises, bit of vibration from the transmission but nothing excessive. Need to re-torque the head and do the tappets, grease the new driveshafts, and change the engine oil. That should be about it (apart from packing the emergency windscreen  ;D)

royboy66 wrote:
few on the Bay mike ......
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/triumph-3-89-diff-/370333318186?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item563995fc2a

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-Spitfire-MK-IV-3-89-1-differential-diff-/160480407593?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255d60b029

Hope you get it sorted  :)

thanks roy
it was a second hand one from ebay (3.63) wont buy another secondhand one would prefer to throw more money at the car and get a recon one (that I hope will last..), I beginning to think or understand why the factory never made a 2.5L gt6. I dont think the transmisssion is up to the torque from the engine!
Might be over reacting as I am again  really pi**ed off with the car! Every time I think the car is sorted something else breaks!
time to walk away and have a beer!

Mike and Libby

got to the drivers meeting and back ok need to have a play with the timing and take out a bank loan for the amount of petrol it uses. Apart from that just a couple of little jobs need doing like get some sort of heater sorted,headlining back in and sort oil pressure out

cheers andy

Also got there and back ok and did about half a tank of fuel. (But then we weren't hanging around either! :P)

No problems to report, so I can now relax a bit with the car prep and remember that there is also a house in the same garden as my garage! :)

Good to see most of the Essex crowd there today as well. (Someone buy Mikey B a watch! ;))

Made it there and back too, albeit with issues - hence the late arrival.  

A failed viscous coupling yesterday and a box of duff spares meant that I was fitting a borrowed spare first thing this morning followed by the inevitable late departure.  Then less than 20 miles into the journey the overdrive kept jumping in and out so we stopped to change the switch, breaking the wire in the process!  Upon proceeding further, it transpired that we had not fixed it, and worse still the car was running hotter the faster we drove. This was not helped by the fact that I'd left the rad cap loose!

Having stopped again to check the water, onwards progress was somewhat slowed due to the combination of issues, meaning (as usual) we arrived late!  The snagging list that was compiled as we travelled is now two columns long   :(

Apart from that, the car ran well, pulled like a train and upset a few moderns on the way home     :B

Archived