28th RBRR Announcement and Opening for Entry Date

Hi all,

As a change from previous years, the Club has decided to delay the opening of the RBRR for Entry.

Entry will open on Friday 10th February 2023 at 19.00hrs.

As in the last few times, entry will be via this Website.

We will offer 125no places, after that a Reserve List will be operated.

Entry cost will be cheaper than in previous years @ £100.00 per person. However, we will ask Entrants to purchase their own Finisher Souvenirs.

Regards,

Tim

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunately I will be unable to enter the 2023 event, the first one I will have missed in 47 years. On the bright side the absence of a  'usual suspect' will at least free up a spot, it would be good if it were for a first time crew. I would like to assure everyone that there is nothing currently wrong with me or the 4A, and if I am still alive and in good health I fully expect to make my 24th RBRR start on the 2025 running.

The best of luck to all entrants, I will be watching with interest the inevitable avalanche of entries as they come in on 10th February!

Tim

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Dave bunney said:

Really hoping to enter.

If I get in I'll be a first timer car and crew!

Will the link be in this thread or just on the homepage to enter? 

If I get in & get the car ready mine will also be first timer car & crew.

Good luck with your entry & hopefully I'll see you at Knebworth 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave bunney said:

Really hoping to enter.

If I get in I'll be a first timer car and crew!

Will the link be in this thread or just on the homepage to enter? 

There will be a link on the website homepage, and under the "events" tab (near teh top of every page on the website) The event entry will be sold through the club shop pages, but do read all the bumph before entering. That will all be available beforehand. 

In addition, I expect there will be an email sent to all club members to remond them that entry is opening, much nearer the time.

• Like 2

Tim, I am surprised that you will not be entering the RBRR. I have been going through the Entry Lists since 1966 and attempting to work out who finished each event and other stats.

I see that your first RBRR was in 1974 and that your co-driver was a chap called Russ Kenery and of course the car was your fabulous TR4A. According to CT records, you missed out 1976 and then returned with a chap called Paul Howells in 78, and then started your first of many with Mike Hockaday in the co-driver seat.

Hope that if you can you will be at the Start at Knebworth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Tim, I am surprised that you will not be entering the RBRR. I have been going through the Entry Lists since 1966 and attempting to work out who finished each event and other stats.

I see that your first RBRR was in 1974 and that your co-driver was a chap called Russ Kenery and of course the car was your fabulous TR4A. According to CT records, you missed out 1976 and then returned with a chap called Paul Howells in 78, and then started your first of many with Mike Hockaday in the co-driver seat.

Hope that if you can you will be at the Start at Knebworth.

Tim - see my email to you of 31/12. Russ Kenery was a young Australian who was a colleague of Les Mills at Thorn in Enfield. Les kindly made the introduction when he heard I was looking for a co-driver as my father thought he was too old to share the TR - what a wimp, he was only 70 at the time!!!! But seriously it is an abiding sadness that I was not able to change dad's mind and we never shared my first RBRR together. I cannot now recall why I never entered in 1976 but I put it right two years later with Paul Howell, who was the first Group Leader of the TR Register Lea Valley Group.  He had a very nice TR2 in BRG with tan soft top, which I had admired on the 1974 RBRR but we preferred the greater creature comforts of the 4A!. Paul had taken part in the TR Register's Land's End to JOG run in 1973 (sponsored by Unipart) so acquiring the taste for long distance events. Sadly Paul is no longer with us. In the early 70s he also had another TR2 that he had acquired in bits and when he started the restoration he discovered it to be OVC 276, the specially prepared Works TR2 in which Ken Richardson and Maurice Gatsonides had finished 7th in class and 27th overall in the 1954 Mille Miglia at an average speed of 73mph. Paul sold the car as a rolling chassis to the late Eddie Holden who finished the restoration, the car is now somewhere on the Continent.

• Like 3