• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of trying to prepare my Vitesse if I can as well, as it has RBRR history in the fact that it won the Stafford Cup in 2006 when KD and Asbo did RBRR in her. Thing is then it had Karl's old GT6 race engine in, not it's got a wheezing 2l. I can get the car done, it's just if any of my team are up to doing RBRR as a two man crew, in a very noisy car, with bad seats and 4 points...

Just had a look at the latest entry list and am surprised to see that whereas there are nine TR6s to date only 4 tractor-engined TRs feature. It might be an idea for us to share details nearer the date of what bits and pieces we will be carrying, not that Mark's lovely 4A is likely to need anything.

I don't know who A and W K are but respect for entering a Gentry! They must be praying for a dry run; I recall a Gentry taking part many years ago when we had a lot of rain. I can't recall whether or not the car finished but can still see the occupants now, looking like two drowned rats.

How great to see Nigel Abdullah actually planning to take part for the first time in many years, and so appropriate for the 50th Anniversary event. No chance of that team getting lost then - except perhaps when Nigel take kip - eh Dale?

Tim

Having done the RBRR in the Herald and failed in the GT6 we (myself and daughter Libby) weren't going to try another one. However having done the 2015 10CR in the TR6 we have got sucked into the excitement of the 2016 one so we are in!
Ask me early Sun morning at some motorway service station if it was a good idea...

Mike

Jason: Need to update the entry as Libby is a Sargent and not  a  Barrett anymore. Actually not sure if she has told her husband, or daughter,  yet..... but plenty of time before Oct 2016....

Quoted from mpbarrett

Ask me early Sun morning at some motorway service station if it was a good idea...

When we got home after after the last RBRR, Davemate and I had found that our 'first time RBRR' third man co-driver had put on facebook 'WTF AM I DOING???'  Round about the time we were at Gordano Services early hours Sunday morning! 😀

Good (?) Old Times...

Having decided to enter, this was finally a good reason and opportunity to become a member of Club Triumph. I have been a forum member since 2005, became a club member yesterday and wanted to register to RBRR online. However I am presented a list there that should be printed and sent onwards including a cheque.
A cheque? Is this 2015? I have not seen or used a cheque for twenty years or so. Is there another way to pay? Paypal? Bank transfer? Credit card?
It would be nice to be able to fill in the details online instead of writing it on a piece of paper and send it in an envelope. Last time I used a letter and an envelope was over a year ago I think.

Apart from the slight problem getting the registration to RBRR done, I am faced with the luxury problem as to what car to take. The 2000 Mk1? The Stag? The TR4?
Well it is not really a luxury as the Mk1 needs welding and a general resurrection from its 10 year long sleep, the Stag needs a bit of welding, an interior and an inspection for a new registration in the Netherlands, the TR4 is ready but probably would need a general look over before the event. But hey the RBRR is months and montha away so there will be enough time.
Anyway my brother who will be part of the team has a orange-yellow 2000 Mk2 we also could use - that only would need resurrection from a 3 years standstill.

Sorry I've been a little absent from the forum, just catching up now.

Cheques and paper - yes it's old school, I'm thinking that if people want to pay via other means we should allow them and put a £10 surcharge on for the hassle it'll present us with unless we can come up with a decent automated way of doing it that allows a fully on-line process. By that I mean a process that will only accept a fully completed and paid for entry before accepting and allocating an entry number.

I'm all for progress and using technology but a cheque and paper still represents the best way for a low tech, volunteer team to administer the entries. If anyone has any practical solutions then please shout out, if anyone runs or knows how to run an e-commerce solution then again get in touch.

Entry numbers - yes we're now over subscribed at 140 entries and at next weekend's progress meeting I am going to move that we start a reserve list for subsequent entries. We will find it very difficult to accommodate 140 cars, 130 is about the most we think we can cope with so we are now oversubscribed even accounting for the inevitable drop outs prior to the start. We have always said that we will try and accept every car and crew that wants to come out on the RBRR but reality bites at these numbers. This is especially tricky given the uncertainty over the Plough, I don't like "hoping" things will be OK and I don't like not having a back-up or contingency - makes me nervous. At the moment I'm feeling we're running without a back up plan if the Plough cant or won't cope with us starting there. I know the membership will bear with us if things go awry and I may be worrying unnecessarily - I hope I am but again, I don't like hoping

It's not just the Plough of course, food stops are bottle necks where the whole field will converge over 2 hours and want feeding, both stops are hard pushed to cope so we have to be careful not to overload them with hungry Triumph folk - remember this and be sensible there please!

Anyway, I have to say "Thank you" to all the entrants, most forms were fully completed, most came to the right address, most even had the right postage, a lot had legible email addresses too (this is now one of the biggest pains, de-bugging email addresses that 'bounce'). All in all it's been a hectic registration process - I am REALLY grateful for the help of Tim and Andy from the organising team who helped process entry forms at the peak of demand.

Not directed at anyone in particular but PLEASE don't send me PM's on here about the RBRR, it's really hard to tie them up with which entry on the list it's from and I can't just hit reply on my phone/tablet to respond. TO get in touch just email me chinn at ntlworld dot  com.

Also, if you have a query about entry DO PLEASE ask me - I've had emails from every far flung corner of the CT empire lately, some sent to email addresses I didn't know we had. If you ask other Club officers there may well be a delay in getting to me.

If you're on the list and have not had an email from me or Tim then you need to do a couple of things - First check your spam folder - if it's not there then please email me (that way I have your email address!) and I will resend the welcome email - don't worry, it's not anything vital just a welcome to the RBRR. It is important that we have the right details on file for you so please do make sure emails are getting through. As I have to read and transcribe all these email addresses off entry forms into my entry list, mistakes get made so I need your help to debug those errors.

Thanks!