10CR '11 Who's got what left to do ?

32valves

Arse again!  Booked an MOT for the Stag tomorrow, did some pre-checks today and much to my annoyance found some rot. Even more annoying it was the same rot that he had commented on last year (and the year before!) telling me it really needed to be sorted before the 2011 MOT - whoops!

This is the drivers side front crossmember, it had been badly patched before I bought the car over 20 years ago so to be fair it has lasted pretty well. The passenger side is not much better, I have even had the replacement panels in stock for almost the same time!  There is no point in bodging it up, on this side the bottom of the front wing appears to be unattached so no doubt a bit of fabrication will be necessary.  

Therefore it will be the S2000 going to MOT tomorrow then I'll spend a bit of time to repair the Stag properly.  Good job the MOT still has a couple of weeks to run!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took my Sprint out for a little drive tonight, for the first time in months. Came back with the biggest grin. I'd forgotten just how smooth, quiet and powerful it is. Couple of little jobs to do such as carb heat spacers and new starter motor but on the whole I'm feeling much more optimistic than I did a week ago. MOT in the next couple of weeks after I've checked everything over.

heraldhabitat wrote:
Just the mintex 1144 disc pads when they arrive, and replace the brake fluid, don't want to be taking any chances on those passes otherwise looking good, will take on TSSC event in Shropshire this weekend to see if anything else shows up.

.....you mean, there are mountain passes in Shropshire?

Hmmm.  Thought I was pretty much there on the 2.5Pi - but just had a "pre-run review" and have decided to do one or two more bits "just to be on the safe side".
So - fit new wheels and tyres, change the rear brake hoses, change the brake master cylinder seals, change all the brake fluid, re-pack the front wheel bearings with high melting point grease, change the steering column needle bearings, sort out why the nely-fitted fron ARB now squeaks like a demented mouse, change the choke cable, and check to see if the gearbox mounting has collapsed and change it if it has.  
Another opportunity to open my wallet and empty the contents ........

Nick_Jones wrote:
Oh, time is marching on......  looks like the old engine gets to play in the Alps again.  Best pack plenty of oil and Wynns!

New fuel pump needed - old one sounds like it's full of rocks now.  Tracking all round.  Get front wheels properly balanced.  Full service.  Dig out some spares (used a lot of my "spares" doing the PI - EFI conversion!)

Nick

Fuel pump done - peace is restored.
Tracking done
New back tyres (probably need more afterwards if the last 10CR is any guide!)

Radiator now leaking...... more expense!

Nick

went to check over my steed (TR4) today, and ended up coming back home with it.

"Can you fit the spare TR6 seats to it whilst I'm on holiday", no problem I thought.

Oh, and there is a slight knocking noise from the back as you go over bumps...... Felt like someone hitting the underside with a club hammer all teh way home, not a knocok, something is clearly broken.

And it won't rev over 3000rpm.

Mmmmmmm, I have a bad feeling........

:-(

Nick_Jones wrote:
Yeah, been looking at your blog Mike - seems quite late to be starting a full resto  :P

He needs to spend more time in the garage, if he goes in doors he'll have to change nappies... :-)

Nick_Jones wrote:
Colin - ever get the feeling your good nature and mechanical skills are being exploited......  :)

Uh, Huh... :-(

Thing is the Mk1 Auto drives really nicely, though I never realsed they were soooo slloooooowwwwww.....

thescrapman wrote:

Thing is the Mk1 Auto drives really nicely, though I never realsed they were soooo slloooooowwwwww.....

It shouldn't be that slow - kick down needs adjusting? Mine was very brisk.

Either that or it's the unmodified suspension fooling you :)

That's the first saloon I've seen with positive camber at the back!

Oh and thanks to the reasonably shiny nature of it I now have a single glossy rear wing after someone decided to attack it with a mop…

thescrapman wrote:

If you recall, our old manual Mk1 Gertie was also fairly relaxed until you wound her up, she than had the ability to hold and carry some speed!

Mmmn think of all that space - room to sleep properly and enough space leftover to fill the car with flapjacks so that you will never have to waste time stopping for food    :-)

jcarruthers wrote:
It shouldn't be that slow - kick down needs adjusting? Mine was very brisk.

It was pulling out the road at the end of teh arches that really caught me out, it just didn't go off the mark at all, once up and running and warmed up it kept up with thr traffic OK, jsu took a long time to get up to that pace. The auto box has been reconned apparently, and it is very good. I suspect if I had fllored it I mighthave got a bit more go... maybe... :-)

jcarruthers wrote:

That's the first saloon I've seen with positive camber at the back!

He was eying up my spare lowered springs erlier in the day. I told him to put a few bags of sand in the boot and settle those  new springs.

jcarruthers wrote:
Oh and thanks to the reasonably shiny nature of it I now have a single glossy rear wing after someone decided to attack it with a mop…

I was going to suggest that, as he was doing a fantastic job of the spitfire, it was like glass, but i then I wondered if you had actually paid for one of these "new fangled" matt paint jobs you see on Supercars lately, and it would have come across as a bit rude... :-)

Took my car out for a run up to the Midlands yesterday. Did about 270 miles in all at nearly 40mpg. Needs a tune up to cure some slight misfiring on acceleration, there's a slight wobble/vibration from somewhere that I hope is just a missing balance weight, and a few other little jobs and general servicing then MOT. Here's hoping that's all.

fitted new electric fuel pump and home brewed fan controller. all works ok but the car now starts to miss when reved over 4000 so I think the fuel pump is not working properly (its a suction one could be filter blockage). can always switch back to mechanical one, I have arranged the pipe so its a simple switch.
Electric fan controller works perfectly. I feed the voltage from the temp sensor that is in series with the gauge into a PIC processor and have a couple of set points for the Fan on and Fan off temperatures so I can set some hystersis.

Herald is now under car port waiting for some well needed TLC....

mike

mpbarrett wrote:
fitted new electric fuel pump and home brewed fan controller. all works ok but the car now starts to miss when reved over 4000 so I think the fuel pump is not working properly (its a suction one could be filter blockage). can always switch back to mechanical one, I have arranged the pipe so its a simple switch....

mike

I had the same on the Herald. It was a Facet pump with a fine mesh inlet filter. This filter was continually getting blocked, causing the problem you described.  I removed it completely as it was in the same line as the mechanical pump so when the filter blocked it stopped fuel getting to the mech pump as well!

The other possibility you may find is that your electric pump does not deliver enough fuel for your engine?

MikeyB wrote:

I had the same on the Herald. It was a Facet pump with a fine mesh inlet filter. This filter was continually getting blocked, causing the problem you described.  I removed it completely as it was in the same line as the mechanical pump so when the filter blocked it stopped fuel getting to the mech pump as well!

The other possibility you may find is that your electric pump does not deliver enough fuel for your engine?

Mikey thanks for the suggestions.
this is a HUCO pump that should deliver 120l/hour about 26Galls/hour so should be ok on the GT6... so assuming..
60 mph @ 25 mpg
in one hour you do 60 miles and use 60/25 = 2.4 gals
or 2.4galls/hour so should be ok on flow rate at least.
I think the problem  is, as you suggested, on the suction side.....
time for more fiddling, 31 days plenty of time :))

mike

Archived