10CR '11 Who's got what left to do ?

32valves

EBC Green Stuff front pads fitted - just need bedding in, Just the oil change left to do now and topping up Final Drive, auto box, and steering fluid which I'll leave until the end of the month as I'm using the car regularly at the moment.

All spares already loaded into the car in the useful space in the hood well!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick_Jones wrote:
Just beat some new ones in and displace the old ones inwards......  As I recall getting the old ones out is the major challenge.

Nick

Yeah, done them before 4yrs ago, dont last long do they!

SteveA gave me some turned down from polyeurathane (spelling?)

Just need to find them ! ;D :B :B

Is anyone planning on taking some spare vacuum with them on the run??  There seems to be a disappointing lack of it on my PI......  My mechanic friend tells me that he's got 8", which normally I would think was just him bragging - but turns out that's the vacuum reading.  A leak down test points in the direction of poorly sealing valves.  Got a 2500S head that I bought at Stoneleigh that is kicking about, so that's off to the shop on Saturday for an overhaul.  How big a job is it to swap it?  By the time the head is done and back, there will be less than a week before the run..... too much of a risk?? The car is running OK with its current head, but idles and cruises poorly.  Thrashes well though.....
Thoughts and views??

Is anyone planning on taking some spare vacuum with them on the run??  There seems to be a disappointing lack of it on my PI......  My mechanic friend tells me that he's got 8", which normally I would think was just him bragging - but turns out that's the vacuum reading.  A leak down test points in the direction of poorly sealing valves.  Got a 2500S head that I bought at Stoneleigh that is kicking about, so that's off to the shop on Saturday for an overhaul.  How big a job is it to swap it?  By the time the head is done and back, there will be less than a week before the run..... too much of a risk?? The car is running OK with its current head, but idles and cruises poorly.  Thrashes well though.....
Thoughts and views??

Only real problem is getting the old head off...lots of threads on the subject, perhaps not risk bending the con-rods getting it off, given what time we have left.

I'm trying to locate a rolling road over Cambridge way that has SU needles and know what they're doing, anyone got a quick answer?

GT6_Don wrote:
Only real problem is getting the old head off...lots of threads on the subject, perhaps not risk bending the con-rods getting it off, given what time we have left.

I'm trying to locate a rolling road over Cambridge way that has SU needles and know what they're doing, anyone got a quick answer?

There is an old-style guy just west of Cambs.

Near teh stately home.

It'll come to me soon, just not quite yet.

:-/

Colin

mpbarrett wrote:

Mikey thanks for the suggestions.
this is a HUCO pump that should deliver 120l/hour about 26Galls/hour so should be ok on the GT6... so assuming..
time for more fiddling, 31 days plenty of time :))

mike

Found the problem. I thought there was a piece of tubing over the fuel pipe to protect it from the block it turned out it was  a bit of tubing joining two bits of pipe (with no jubilee clips on it). When it got hot and you accelerated the tubing would leak... New clips on it and the car seems fine (might even improve the the MPG).
Temp controller works really well now, fan comes on and off automatically.

herald up on axle stands ready for a session at the weekend....
Mike

Tracked him down Peter Baldwin of Wilshers Garages   http://www.wilshers-garages.com/

I read this account of some Mini owners getting their cars sorted out by him, quite impressed  (although it was 2001)  http://www.asofherts.org/reports/reports.php?article=91

Bit nervous about sitting in my car with my foot flat on the floor!

GT6_Don wrote:

Pete seems to be very well regarded.

More likely it will be him with his foot flat on the floor.

When I took mine the RR operator (not Pete) drove, and I sat alongside with the laptop and did what I was told regarding altering fuelling and ignition.  The bonnet wasn't opened.  Was odd sitting in the car, not moving, with the speedo showing 100mph.  Was extremely noisy too - but what a noise  ;D.  We had a couple of old guys from a coach party unloading across the road come over - politeness forbids exact reporting of the phrases used but they liked it.....

Nick

A mate of mine who hill climbs a Mini has used a few rolling roads over the years, his comments about Pete Baldwin were that he though he was quite hard on the car, he did however get decent results. He's also used Tom Airey to good effect http://aireytuning.com/ but the one he and I liked was Slark Engineering http://www.slarkraceengineering.co.uk/ where I took my Vitesse in it's pre-Lucas Injection days. Neil Slark was very good, patient, thorough and reasonably priced. I think I paid about £80 but that was a few years ago now - his web site says 1/2 a day is £175 +VAT. On balance Slark seemed to be the better of the three - considerate, personable, knowledgeable, reasonably priced and good results.  

spent the weekend on the Herald as i am waiting for the GT6 to break down.....
Herald needs lots of TLC so far front suspension in bits, needs new track rod ends, ball joints, rack gaitor and trunnion bushes...
rear brakes shoes replaced, engine oil and filter changed, air filters cleaned
OSfront tyre has a bulge in it so needs replacing
Would have had to do all this stuff for the MOT in December....
Biggest problem is that the gear box OD is playing up, think there is a problem with the solenoid, its got power on it and is drawing current but cant hear it clicking...

mike

GT6_Don wrote:
Tracked him down Peter Baldwin of Wilshers Garages   http://www.wilshers-garages.com/

I read this account of some Mini owners getting their cars sorted out by him, quite impressed  (although it was 2001)  http://www.asofherts.org/reports/reports.php?article=91

I have used Peter twice both with excellent results he is very good and I can certainly recommend him!

Cheers Nigel

Archived