10CR '11 Who's got what left to do ?

32valves

Especially in a gt6

now that was as warm as a sauna, the temp on the roadside display in Andorra was reading 34C
And we were driving the Gt6 with the heaters on Trying to help the engine stay cool..................................

We certainly were not !!!!!!!!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will start on the preparations on the car this weekend.
List of things to do;
• Flush gearbox;
• Oil + filter change;
• Fit new starter motor;
• New front pads;
• Change brake and clutch fluid;
• Sort dashboard lights;
• [s]Change fuel cap seal[/s];
• Check condition of thermostat gasket probably renew;
• Check condition of viscous coupling maybe needs renewal;
• General check over;

GT6 needs front wheel balancing, new rear hatch seal (one on it is too thick and the hatch keeps opening), bit of polishing and I think she ready. Just wondering where to put the badges??? Dont want to reduce the airflow to the engine.
The Herald (back up car) will get new disks and pads at the weekend and then she is ready.
Might fill up Libbys Rover just in case!

Tomtom maps updated just got some decent 'proper' maps of the Alps (michelin) to help find the passes. Started to plot the route out from the road book and I think we are ready to go.

Still time for something to break...... ;)

Mike

mpbarrett wrote:
GT6 needs front wheel balancing,

Mike

Hi Mike, I recently had all 4 wheels balanced, but still had a steering wheel shake at 60mph ish, Ive just replaced my steering column bushes and the shake has now gone!  just a thought if the balancing doesnt cure any steering wheel shake you might have  ;)

Had a look at my MK1 and Rally plates going inside on rear side window!   ;D
Roy 8)

royboy66 wrote:

Roy 8)

Haven't got any side windows...... or rear window.... or bumpers to tie things onto........ Thinking to get some magnetic sheet to stick on the plates then the plates can be stuck on the doors or bonnet & bootlid.  Was preferring these to stickers until I started thinking about how I was going to attach them......  :-/

Nick

I'm just having one plate on the rear window. Air-flow to precious at the front end!

Took my SUs and flowed manifold off as I was only getting 20-25mpg. Strombergs still need a little fettling but, hey, 6 days left...three of them are being spent in Germany though! Still, I replaced both UJs and fitted superflex bushes to the rear so that should be OK.

Bloody hell - after running like the wind yesterday, the PI has today developed a misfire.  Mechanic not back until Monday - all getting far too close for comfort and the PI just seems unreliable.....so methinks I might well be taking the Honeysuckle 2000 instead. :-/  I think I would rather be slower and reliable than fast, flashy, and only get half way round :B.....  Disappointing though - the PI is fabulous when running on song.  Maybe I'll just put some pressure on the mechanic on MOnday..... ;D

Ive hit the wall tonight-mentally that is ! and have stopped for the night
still left to do-
Tidy wiring
Seal up gearbox tunnel,gear lever gaiter etc
Fit oil cooler
replace track rod ends -(get tracking check sat morning 9am)
Check front wheel bearings
Fit grommets etc seal up holes etc
Check tightness and re torque front and rear suspension,prop.drive shafts manifolds, bell housing
check/clip fuel lines/brake lines
Fit tank breather
Road test road test road test!

Then all the other "bits and bobs" for the run

OK, I'll help you out old man.

ajp wrote:
Ive hit the wall tonight-mentally that is ! and have stopped for the night
still left to do-
Tidy wiring Ben can do that while you're driving
Seal up gearbox tunnel,gear lever gaiter etc Ben can do that while you're driving
Fit oil cooler It'll cool down at night anyway
replace track rod ends -(get tracking check sat morning 9am) [s] Ben can do that while you're driving [/s] Fair call better do that
Check front wheel bearings Trust me you'd know by now if they weren't there
Fit grommets etc seal up holes etc Ben can do that while you're driving
Check tightness and re torque front and rear suspension,prop.drive shafts manifolds, bell housing
check/clip fuel lines/brake lines What could possibly go wrong?
Fit tank breather Ben can do that while you're driving
Road test road test road test! You can do that while Ben's sorting all the other stuff out

Then all the other "bits and bobs" for the run Insulated pie chest?

Nick_Jones wrote:
Got to fit the rally plates...... which is looking like something of a challenge on a Vitesse!  Anyone developed a method yet?  :-/

Nick

I've stuck mine onto the bonnet and bootlid with 1" wide black insulating tape. The straight edges are easy; the tape takes a bit of stretching around the top "hump" to get it to stay flat, and I cut the corners of the tape with scissors into a curve to match the corners on the plates. Looks okay from a distance - you just have a 1" wide black border around the plate.

One tip - stick some tape over the 4 punched holes from the underside to stop water getting in underneath. I didn't do this when I stuck the plates on for the HCR and I've got a white mark now on the bonnet where water stayed in contact with the cellulose paint for a few weeks (I didn't take them off straight after the event).

Alternator & charging issues now resolved, additional spot lights wired up.

Just need to look at the fuse box and find out why the reversing lights and heater blower work without the ignition being turned on...........or is this normal on a Mk1 saloon? I'd be surprised if it is, but then we are talking British Leyland!  ;D

Adjust valve clearances.

Superflex gearbox cross member bushes ordered today, will fit if they arrive before next Wednesday!  :-/

Also, I might try and find time to mount the rally plaques properly. The 'cable tied to the bumper' method looks a tad untidy.  ;)

Rally plaque fitted on rear of the Stag using preferred method! Bit bent though as you need to tighten the straps to stop it slipping down.  :-/  Had more trouble deciding where to put the CT sticker as theres not a lot of flat space on the rear, so its on the bumper as well, hence the GB sticker on the hangdown plate.

More or less returned my fuel system back to original. Now have a sweet running engine that, while down on power, is well suited to euro-touring. The Stromberg cold starting device is bleedin' evil to put back together correctly, manual is useless for info on how the middle disc is re-assembled, found info on Buckeye Triumph (Ohio).

Driving to Germany tomorrow and back on Monday night...two whole days of fine tuning, polishing and loading up.

royboy66 wrote:

Hi Mike, I recently had all 4 wheels balanced, but still had a steering wheel shake at 60mph ish, Ive just replaced my steering column bushes and the shake has now gone!  just a thought if the balancing doesnt cure any steering wheel shake you might have  ;)

Roy 8)

interesting, have fitted new column bushes, will get them balanced and see what happens. Only started to vibrate when I change the tyre pressure, front higher than rear. It seems a bit strange but that is what the manual suggests for the later swing spring rear suspension. Not sure I like it, bit bouncy at front and doesnt seem to make the handleing or ride any better! Maybe I should just reduce the front pressures and take it for a ride....
Good idea for the rally plates, not  a lot of free space at the front (or rear...).

mike

Bollocks another 1.30 am finish you would think that I got that list finished! no chance spent two hours sorting out clamping the sodding dizzy in correctly as some previous twat of an owner had bothched and bent the old one so it was holding the dizzy out to high/wobbly and could of jumped out -anyway nice second hand unit in there now with electricery ignition ,old dizzy and points will do as spare-(once homer frees off the bob weights! hes got a lot of spares prep/mending to do this year!) Home made heat shield made and installed so nice constant tick over now  possible, throttle linkage (shed made I had to bin the original carbs and overhauled a set 1 1/2" s I had off a 2000) sorted some wiring tided up and front brake lines double clipped and secured,timing checked,track rod ends replaced,wheel bearings adjusted

Archived