What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

Currently playing with my employer's AutoCad software and a friends 3D printer to produce a new gear lever gaiter finisher.
Should have the final version ready by the end of the coming weekend. One of the many small jobs on my current project ('76 TR7).

2020-12-19_10 Striping and decals.jpeg

• Like 1

So nice to have a busy forum back... here is today's activity.. replacing the bulkhead steering Bush on the TR7 . Removal led me to find a small amount of play in the UJ on the shift so new ones ordered and new upper column bushes ordered now.

The upper shaft felt like it had some sticky gluey type wax some panel wipe got rid of it. Have a look at the inside of that nylon bush

20210421_130833.jpg

20210421_120827.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baldry1500 said:

I cleaned it last weekend. And then a bird pooed on it on Monday morning. So I guess my next task will be to clean it again! And Maybe, just Maybe I'll take it for a drive too 🙂

Back when I had the PI estate, a bird (possibly a thrush?) decided its wing mirrors made great perches, although the reflections in them fascinated it. There were also several nearby berry bushes. For a month or two I would get home from work every day to find both front wings covered in purple poo, which I would wash off immediately. Then in the morning the poo would be back and I'd wash it again before going to work.

Yesterday I filled the Herald up with petrol. I'm relearning the gauge after tweaking the sender and running out of fuel 5 miles away from a petrol station on a fast and narrow A road the other week.

25mpg.... I'm not sure what's going on. I mean, all I did was turn the turbo up a tiny amount the day before I ran out of fuel. Do you think the two issues could be related? 🤔

On 02/04/2021 at 11:15, Tim Bancroft said:

GT6: Rebuild the gear change mechanism and try to lower the rear end of the gearbox in an (vain) attempt to reduce the vibration that occurs at 70mph.

TR6: Fit fibreglass spoiler and start to initiate the repair of the hardtop I bought last year. 

2.5 Saloon: Its being repaired at the moment...so nothing for me. When back, though it needs an engine rebuild.

Very nice the Pi looks too 😉

On 21/04/2021 at 20:57, Tim Bancroft said:

Beans, that looks lovely, a car that will be seen from miles away!

Thank you! I found out that the green DHC has a tendency to blend with the surroundings of the country side.
So time for a different bright approach 😁 

4 hours ago, TRTOM2498 said:

@ Beans, that looks a great shell to start with.  Good luck with the project.

A lot of work already has been gone into that shell to get this far, as this picture from already 7 years ago shows quite clearly 🙄

2014-02-12 Carrosserie kaal.jpg

Today I fitted my knew steering UJ to the steering column and new upper and lower bushes. A tiny turn on the steering wheel equals a tiny turn at the wheels. My home made strut brace is fitted too. Looking forward to getting out tomorrow morning.

20210421_102353.jpg

Edited by Matt306
Photo
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2021 at 13:07, mikeyb said:

Arrgh!  With an extension to build, I can only dream of pottering around in the garage!

You have been working on the extension for 4 years now, it's not looking good for garage time is it.

Almost caught up on the extension front after 4 weeks. And been in the garage at the same time. 🙂

Not that tha,t means the Herald Estate is going to be ready for the RBRR... 😞

My saloon is off for a session at a rolling road next week to finally get it mapped. Only 11 years after fitting the EFI...

Needs valve clearances checking before that.

I have an idle valve to fit, however that might depends how much better the maps are dialled in after the rolling road session.

Needs a new throttle cable.

Side project is a digital dash I’m making for the EFI. Has lots of different gauges and can show any variable the ECU spits out. I’ve designed a rev counter gauge that takes up the whole screen and flashes at shift points etc for an upcoming track day.

On 25/04/2021 at 13:59, thescrapman said:

You have been working on the extension for 4 years now, it's not looking good for garage time is it.

Almost caught up on the extension front after 4 weeks. And been in the garage at the same time. 🙂

Not that tha,t means the Herald Estate is going to be ready for the RBRR... 😞

Well that's not quite correct, I did more thinking about it rather than working on it  in the last 3 1/2 years, gotta catch up now!

Finally have got a good set of short spline wire wheels and a spare all painted. So the next step is to have the hardly used tires, tubes, and bands I put on the first set swapped onto them so they can go on the Herald.

The first set I got turned out to need a full set of spokes - the nipples are too far gone to tighten. They seemed ok, but I think it was just rust holding them tight. So, once they were on and run a bit, they made some quite unpleasant noises on corners. These 4 MWS wheels have good spokes and the spare is the best of a set of intermediate goodness ones I picked up cheapish.

The rims and hubs, and some spokes, in these MWS from India seem to have some chrome in the alloy. Though not the minimum of (IIRC) 11% to be stainless. The nipples are not so good though, and have needed a fair bit of hammerite smooth to stop from rusting.

If there's anybody out there up for respoking some wheels, once I have the tires, tubes, and bands off them, you can have the 4 with knackered spokes for collection from St Annes (too) near Blackpool. I think the hubs are okay, and the rims aren't too bad. I have a spare spare as well, but I'd want something that.

I have been messing around with road springs for my TR6. Fitted Moss TT4216 to the rear and Rimmer's 420lb 1 inch lowered to the front (Moss have stopped selling uprated springs at present. The rears were NOS from Dave Picton).

Otherwise, lots of small jobs being done.

My Saloon which is with James Godfrey-Dunne having major bodywork done, is progressing nicely. New roof on now! Will post some pics soon.

New front brake hoses & pads...(to hopefully cure a sticking offside calliper - am hoping that an old brake hose is breaking up inside - if that doesn't work then new callipers & discs will be the order of the day....). A replacement steering rack to be fitted..(thank you, Antonia...) & a new set of five 145x13 tyres to be fitted..(to replace the old 135 profile 'retreads'..............Oh, & a hole in her nearside sill tread area, close to the bottom of the 'A' post to be rectified with some more cosmetic areas welded. My good friend, Mike, who has kindly undertaken the welding already done, will do that & will also manufacture a replacement front chassis bar - I then need to get the fibreglass front valance that needs sending to me - or me collecting it..(a Faecesbook purchase, ages ago!..)....fettling & getting it on.....Before a lot of that; an oil/filter change & service...Plus a few other 'odds & sods'...

.....With all that done, she will still look derelict - inside & out!..............One day! One day, perhaps, the ugly duckling will be transformed into a beautiful swan!

(Sadly, the very lovely MG TA is not mine!!) 

P1010002 (3).JPG

The Madsprout (mk3 GT6) needs it's limited slip 3.27 diff reinstalling following it's rebuild. It had only done 2000 miles since being built first time round but the builder over tightened the pinion bearings and used a scrap crown wheel and pinion to build it so it became very noisy very quickly. The 2 oil changes I did were bright silver with the debris from the pinion bearings. Now rebuilt with an 1850 dolly crownwheel and pinion using timkin bearings throughout and a good pair of halfshafts as the splines on my originals were worn. Then I need to pull the engine to change the thrust washers. The light flywheel makes it kangeroo in very slow moving traffic so needs lots of clutching which in turn has worn the thrusts. 

Finally I've got to sort the gearbox tunnel. My type 9 gearbox requires the tunnel to be lengthened by about 2. 5 inches which I did years ago but I've had to raise the back of the box a little for my new 2.25 inch exhaust to fit which means the cover is a little short again. So remove the front flange of the tunnel and extend another 25mm should see it seal again. 

• Like 1

The Bank Holiday weekend saw attention being given to my GT6s brake system, the rears have been rebuilt, new hardware & pipework, the fronts have received new pipes & flexi hoses and the M/cyl flushed through with meths to clean out sediment, it appears to be a recently fitted unit. I have rebuilt a pair of front callipers with a spacer kit and will be fitting Capri vented discs to the front with Tim Ward's assistance next weekend, we're converting to 12mm wheel studs at the same time. 

I also picked up a pair of late Spit IV seats, recliners with headrests, I'm waiting to hear from Park Lane regarding the cost of them making me a leather seat cover set but with GT6 style horizontal flutes, I expect to hear the figure next week. I believe the runners might need more holes drilling as they're not quite in the same position, anyone know for sure?