A few thank yous!

Radders

After a fantastic trip I just wanted to show my appreciation to those that helped me out. So......a big thank you to:

Dave Jones for the use of his timing light and Colin Wake for doing the timing on my car at one of the passes. (I'm too tired to remember which one!  :()
Dave Jones for the use of his spare wheel when I got my first puncture
Russell for the use of his spare wheel when I got my second puncture!
Keith Bennet for the loan of his spare inner tube. (we didn't use it as we couldnt get the punctured tyre off the rim!)

My co-driver Peter Fern for being such great company and having a cool taste in music! (and for being the one driving when the Austrian police nicked us for speeding!  ;D)

Last but not least, a big thank you to Ellis for making it such a fantastic event. This was my first 10CR and the scenery and views are absolutely outstanding. Bring on the next one!  :)

i'd like to thank everyone who helped me when I had the fuel pump problem on Friday, Andy Martin and Gavin and Andy F for stopping and helping and to the guys in a saloon who donated a repair kit that worked. Can't remember who it was I'm afraid, but I'll replace the kit and buy you a beer when I find out!

Thanks to Mike North and co for 6 pints of water on the top of the Stelvio when my car was using more water than petrol due to overheating!

Thanks to Mike Charlton for organising the Alla Rocca and getting them to keep the kitchen open for us.

Thanks to Andrew and Diane in the Toledo for the cups of coffee and civilised company on the climb up the the Timmelsjoch.

Thanks to Ellis and all the organisers.

And most of all thanks to Fanfarezug Kisslegg http://www.fz-kisslegg.de/ for Saturday night!

Keith

391 wrote:

Russell for the use of his spare wheel when I got my second puncture!

No problem at all - thanks for being great company :)

We'd also like to thank both Dave Langrick and Chris Rabbets for the loan of their spare fuel when we ran out 3/4 of the way up the Stelvio. Never have I felt so vulnerable, as it was about 10 minutes before we saw another Triumph and started to get worried we were at the back of the pack.

And of course, more thanks to Ellis and Andy for organising such a superb route and event. Good to see old friends and meet new ones under such incredible circumstances.

Looking forward to 2013.

Russell and Carmel.

My own personal thanks go to
Matt Helm for the loan of (his mums) tyre and wheel after we had fitted our spare at the top of the Timmelsjoch,when we puntured.
The other, nearly new rear had gone down to the canvas after ripping around the passes so we changed with Matt to get us to Rolduc
(an article on how to get new tyres follows soon)
To Roger ,my co pilot, for ringing his friends and father at the tyre centre and finding my new tyres
To the Alla Rocca for supplying laste dinners
To the German team at Pirmasens for supplying coffee and quiche
..........and last but not least, the fine camaraderie to all who was in the event and helping each other out in need

Likewise - huge thanks to Ellis for the organisation, Andy for a truly brilliant route, Rob and Paul for the spares list/accommodation list, to my co-drivers Chris and Martin for making it such a laugh, and everyone on the run for the camerarderie and team spirit - outstanding!  

Mr Charlton's Spitfire was taking some rather smooth line down the mountain passes and had true Italian Spirit with his entertaining light covers.

Was a pleasure to help out even if it was the mother's car, about time i started thinking about buying my own.........

Any ideas?????

2020 wrote:
Mr Charlton's Spitfire was taking some rather smooth line down the mountain passes and had true Italian Spirit with his entertaining light covers.

Was a pleasure to help out even if it was the mother's car, about time i started thinking about buying my own.........

Any ideas?????

Something that can carry TWO spare wheels and Tyres.... ;D

Just a (fairly) quick WELL DONE to Ellis, Andy, Mr Darbyshire (as I live and breathe) and all the other good folk who helped make this one of the best CT events yet.

Well done E for the route, finding the best kebabs in France, the cheapest decent beer in Germany (ouch!), the best 'snout' in Belgium, the least aerodynamic sweets in Holland and for giving me the chance to get my spanners out in either Austria or Germany (snigger). Well done Matt B for putting up with my snoring, driving very well and making the run even more enjoyable than usual.

Harold ran faultlessly, returned an average of better than 29 mpg, used zero coolant and a mere quart of oil even though the Land Speed record (for a Harold) got broken twice within 24 hours in Germany! Can't wait for the next one.

Well, I thought the 2009 10CR was pretty damn fine, but this was even better.  The mountain routes were just fantastic, especially as the tight timing meant you just had to push a bit... :P.  Did you know that a Vitesse can stay with the bikers on a mountain pass provided the straights are short enough......!  They really don't like it  ;).  Mind you, once there is any overtaking to done, they soon get away as they appear to be in a hurry to get to Valhalla  :o

Well done Ellis, Andy and anyone else who had a hand in the route  :)

Nick

I had a great time, this was my first CT event and I can't wait till the next one! Thanks to the people who stopped after our ride martyred itself! Getting back was a nightmare though, haven't been messed about that much before. Malcolm and I are itching to find out what happened to Old Bill when he gets repatriated though, couldn't find the problem at the side of the autobahn :(

At least it broke AFTER these:

Cheers
Tim

A big thankyou to Ellis and his team for plotting a really challenging route that took in most
of the best alpine passes in western Europe, being a 10 CR newbie the whole thing was an
adventure, not least sleeping in the 5,-well trying too anyway! .
Biggest thanks go those guys who kindly pulled over and offered help on one of the steeper
sections of the St Gothard, in particular Russell and Carmel in there 6,-thankyou once again!.
Mike North and team mobi identified the problem,-a blown coil, by luck,i was carrying a spare
which carried me through the rest of the tour.
  Finally to my patient navigator, John Spencer,(i did all the driving) another big thankyou, not
an easy job and very well done.
  This was a great event and everyone i met had the best positive attitude i have come accross, top
  marks to all,
    cheers,
       Laurence,entry 67

Thanks to Ellis and team and CT who organised the trip. Wondefull roads, hills, mountains and scenery.
Had a fantastic time, managed to spend 5 days in a GT6 with my daughter and we are still talking...
And really enjoyed meeting everyone over beer and open bonnets.

This was our third and lucky attempt, we will certainly be back for the next one.

The car behavioured most of the time (just did not like getting its fuel hot), nothing broke apart from the Car radio but do have a list of jobs/improvements for the winter......

Mike and Libby.

Probably time to update the signature....

A big THANK YOU to all for making our first 10CR a fantastic experience.  

Thanks to Roy and Jules for their great company and showing us the ropes!

The biggest Thank you to our water hero Mat Helm who provided some water when our electric fan blew it's fuse and caused us to boil over!

Great trip and an experience of a life time!!  

Tim and Lou Team 53

Thanks everyone! Although our event was marred by the Spitfire having a big-end failure resulting in recovery, the trip on the train to get a hire car (well, 3 different ones actually) and getting back to Italy in time for beers and bed, and to be able to continue the route, was just brilliant. This event is not just about the great roads and driving experience, it's about the people and the camaraderie. After the breakdown and Tristan and I considered flying home, but we decided no way could we do that. and we were very glad that we continued. Thanks again everyone.

GTRoger wrote:
A big thank you to Michael for waking me up on sunday! Otherwise I would still be sleeping now..... .

Top event! Enjoyed every minute of it. Well done to Ellis and co for organising.

The story going something like this............
Arrived Leutkirch, went to pizzeria, had pizza and two large beers
Pizzeria place supplied us with two crates ,40 1/2 ltr bottles of beer, one went with Burnerboy and one with our teams (4) and afterwards went to bed
Told Roger ,previously to set alarm for 6.30am. That went off whilst I was shaving and was still going when Id finished.
Turned off the alarm, and said "Roger ".........nothing
His hand was flopped over his mouth, and again I shouted "Roger"........nothing
Then I shook his wrist flopping around like a fan..........nothing
Then I prodded his shoulder twice........nothing
All the time he was still snoring..........
So I stuck his mobile phone in his hand and rung his number ................twice.............ringing with the TOP GEAR music on lound........nothing
Whilst still snoring I then shook him and again shouted "ROGER !"   at which point , he looked up and in a sedate voice said " Morning"
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thats what beer does to a Dutchman ;)

Just to echo the above comments,

Thanks to Ellis and Andy for organising such a fantastic run, I didn't see the alps last time because it was dark ;) :P

Also a big thanks to Mike "Travel Agent" Charlton for organising our accommodation in the UK and abroad (clap)(clap)(clap)

Thanks also to Paul Darbyshire and Mike Charlton (again) for saving us a dinner at the Rolduc (we got 2 dinners  ;D 8) )

We were late due to going on what Rob describes as "Thompson Tours" I call it crap navigation  ;)

Last but not least THANKS Gaz (co-driver) just for making it such a bloody good laugh all the way round.

A big thanks to Ellis and Andy for all their hard work!!!

Paul for the great list, Dave Landrick for the use of his wheel studs but most of all , Steve and Gaz for the amazing tours  :P and help with the car! Cheers lads.

But not forgeting everyone else who took part as it was great seeing all the Triumph cars in convoy!

Great roads, great cars, and great people!!!

Ditto to all the above ....thanks who organised and went the extra mile to create an unforgetable memorable experience.

Ste,Rob,Neil....it was a pleasure and likewise a 10 countries laugh-a-thon.....bring on the next one. (dance)

What 'got' me tho was the disregaurd for personal gain from all who stopped to help the stranded if they could, we all needed to push on but the assistance available from any passing car was truely outstanding...!

Just one example of the assistance at hand when bobbyspit had a problem with wheel studs on a mountain pass......

True club this is...proud to be a member...!

Archived